It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
adults with aspergers?

wondering if anyone is an adult that has autism/aspergers, what tests you had to go through to know if you have it. also wondering if you can get ssi if you are diagnosed and in therapy or on medication. i know therapies can get expensive and so can meds.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: adults with aspergers?

I asked my doctor about the possibility that I may have Asperger's, and she recommended I see a psychologist who specializes in it. I am reluctant to do so, however. I am afraid of what they might say. Oddly enough, it is not the AS that would bother me the most, but the possiblity of doing poorly on some phase of the evaluation. I wouldn't want to be evaluated by someone who would glom on to a poor testing score as an excuse as to why I can't do something, rather than as a call to action to work on the deficiency. I had an evaluator like that at college 20 years ago who essentially told me why the goals I set for myself were impossible. In many ways, I've proven her wrong, but there are still some things, mainly in the social areas of life, that seem inaccessible to me.

I want somebody to tell me honestly what my deficiencies are and to help me work on them to maximize my functioning in daily life. I don't want them to say I'm hopeless or say "Oh, you're fine. You're just anxious." I've had both sides of the coin. I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I was just diagnosed in February by my CBT therapist. (I also have OCD.) I got an official diagnosis this September when I switched from my CBT therapist to a new therapist who specializes in Asperger's. I didn't have to undergo any tests. I did just take an IQ test, but I have yet to hear the results. I go to therapy with this new woman and she also has a support group for college age Aspies that I participate in (I actually go today). I am on Lamictal for my mood swings and outbursts that come from my Asperger's. It has helped a lot. I also take Klonopin as needed for my daily panic attacks. I rarely take it, though. I have to be really, really bad off for me to pop a Klonopin. I used to be on SSRI's for my OCD. Over the course of three years, I was on Zoloft, then Lexapro, then Zoloft again, and finally, Prozac. However, the SSRI's never really did much for my OCD. All that they did was make me so incredibly tired. I have since abandoned them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

thanks for reply's i dont feel so alone now. I am going in march to get tests done and it is gonna take a few hours so i have no idea what i am in for but i know it will all be worth it and if i get some therapy or whatever i need at least i will know more about myself then i did.

Gats do you have certain stims? I have this thing where i like to watch things drop and spin and i shake while watching them. i always played with strings as a child and didnt want to be around others. I still dont make eye contact and feel uncomfortable around others. I also line stuff up with my eyes. Do you have any of those? i have ocd as well and have a hard time reading things like the newspaper. I skim when i read and have to stop it's too much for me. Also lights in the store make me want to fall asleep. I dropped out of school early cause of social problems and never understanding the work.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Hello, tinymom05! Yes, I stim quite frequently. I took a "stim survey" for fun not too long ago, and I was shocked at how many things are considered stims! lol! My main ones are rocking back-and-forth or side-to-side, wringing my hands, stroking an object between my fingers over-and-over, clenching my fists in-and-out while rubbing my thumbs, digging my fingernails into my hands, rubbing my arms, pressing my forehead, walking on my toes, talking to myself, and compulsive skin picking. Except for the last three, which I do all of the time, I only usually stim when I'm upset. I do also clap my hands when I'm excited, it's just not a prolonged thing. I have sensory issues, too, one being flourescent lighting. I think that's a very common one with Aspies and other autistics. Yes, I have poor eye contact. It's not bad with peers because I don't respect peers, but I have great problems with adults, my superiors. I always look away when I'm talking to professors, counselors, doctors, etc. Any other questions?
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread