It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
asperger adults?

question, if you have kids and you are diagnosed with aspergers could the kids be taken away from you? Someone uneducated told me this though he is a site administrator. i am just asking, but i am a good mom i take good care of my kids with autism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User
Re: asperger adults?

Check out some books by author Liane Holliday Willey. She is a parent, author, educator, and an adult with Asperger's syndrome. She has written several books about her personal life and talks quite a bit in them about parenting.

On a broader note, there are many children in this world who are parented well by parents who have many different types of disabilities. And there are many children who are parented poorly by parents who are not disabled. In my mind the issue should never be if a parent is disabled, instead it should be if the child cared for appropriately.

On a more personal note, I believe that my father had Asperger's disorder. So I was a child who was raised by an Asperger's parent. Now I'm the mother of a son with Asperger's and a son with more severe Kanner type autism. I believe that being raised by a father with an autism spectrum disorder has helped me to be a better mother to my sons. I have lived with autism spectrum issues every day of my life and as such I am very accepting and understanding of my son's issues. I wouldn't change my life, I wouldn't change my father, and I would not change my son's. I value all of them for who they are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
(female)

funnylife HB User
Re: asperger adults?

well what brat that person is i have a son who is 15 autistic and a girl with asperges 14 years get help is hard enough i got no help at all so dont think they could take them away scare monger is that as long as you can cope your be fine m

Closed Thread