It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

JellyBear HB User
Question Sister And Aspergers

Hey,
My younger sisters recently been diagnosed with AS. I've googled it to see if i can find out about it but its all complicated so can anyone else give me some facts about it please?

thanks alot
Jesse x

Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Sister And Aspergers

Basically, it's a form of high-functioning autism. Like classic autism (Kanner's autism), Asperger's is characterized by social deficits, repetitive behaviors, and different communication skills. The biggest difference between the two is that, in Asperger's, the child has an extraordinary vocabulary. There's always language delay in Kanner's autism. Us Aspies are almost always hyperlexic, and we begin speaking and reading at a very young age. With Kanner's autism, the child likes routine and repetition, such as having to line up toys. Aspies do this, too (mostly because we absolutely hate change), but our obsessiveness comes in the form of "special interests," areas of specific focus that we must learn everything about and talk about for extended periods of time. Common "special interests" are automobiles, trains, dinosaurs, and the planets. Some of mine are I Love Lucy, neuropsychiatry, and A Beautiful Mind. Aspies tend to have excellent memories for dates and facts, so this helps us be able to memorize volumes of information about our "special interests." Few people know that episode #174 of I Love Lucy was "Lucy's Night in Town," or that Lucy and Desi's first wedding anniversary was November 30, 1940 (they renewed their vows in a Catholic church in 1949). Few people care to know that, but this is the sort of thing that Aspies are fascinated by. We can't always understand that other people simply don't care, since we're inept at reading nonverbal/social cues, so we may ramble on-and-on without stopping. Some Aspies speak in a monotone, but contrary to all of the stereotypes, this isn't nearly as common as one might think. There usually is some problem with speech or intonation (for example, I often speak too loudly), but it doesn't have to be a monotone. We do often speak in a pedantic or "professor-ish" way, as is probably evidenced by my correct grammar and verbosity on my posts. We also hate eye contact; it is very uncomfortable for us. Clumsiness is often seen. I have a tendency to bump into people while walking. My own theory on this is that I look at the ground while walking, so that combined with my inability to sense another person's presence causes collisions. There are many other minute symptoms, but these are the cornerstones, particularly the social deficits and "special interests." Just remember that Asperger's is an autistic spectrum disorder, so every Aspie is different. I'm not horribly socially awkward (except when it comes to romantic relationships), but my "special interests" are more pronounced than somebody whose main symptom is social awkwardness. I hope this helped, and feel free to ask any questions, if need be!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Gatsby described Asperger's perfectly. I have many of the same traits, especially the tendency to develop unusual interests. Some of my interests are common, such as cats. Others are more unusual, such as my fascination with English runner and physician Roger Bannister. I find it interesting that Roger Bannister reported many of the traits of Asperger's growing up: serious-minded, academically strong, tendency to have interests unusual and advanced for his age (medicine, archaeology, art, drama) and social awkwardness and a feeling that he was somehow inferior in ability when compared to his peers. (When, in fact, the opposite was true). He also reported a love of action and movement and said he liked things that he could do alone, such as reading and solitary play. He also built model boats and planes. All in all, one of the most successful people with AS I have read about, if he indeed did have it. His story inspires me. He did what was considered impossible, not just in athletics, but in life itself. He also has been married for over 50 years and has four children and 14 grandchildren.

I tend to be a bit socially awkward and clumsy at times.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i am Very clumsy, and i feel like i cant connect socially with people as friends at all almost, but im great with romantic relationships,
my big obsessions are medical stuff (illnesses, diroders, syndromes), art, and a graphic novel series called Nana by Ai Yazawa
if it doenst have to do with art, i dont care about it at all and would ignore it, practically

also repetative things, like opening and closeing doors (i do that too), paceing constatly, "catting" my fingertips across certain fabrics, i also pull on my hair, fidget my toes up cured and uncurled Contsantly or rock my feet, sway dance-like for no good reason.

i hate eycontact too, i really wantto know why its so bad though.

echoing, repeating smething youve heard said, i do that too

freaking out if things are "out of order"
just today, when i was setting up jewlery cases at work, and one of the braclets had been swiched form a round statnd to along flat one, and i stressed over it liek it was a big deal even tough i know how stupid that is.

fixation with "parts" of things, liek pen tops, wheals on a toy car, etc

i also reado nthis baord autism is probably tied to bad immune systems, i have a horrable immune system.

Closed Thread