It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
(female)

AntsMommy HB User
Question HFASD (Asperger's) - Gifted?

Hi I'm new to the Forum. My son is 4 years, 3 months old. He has recently been diagnosed with:

"High Functioning Autistic Spectrum Disorder (possibly Asperger's Syndrome)"

The doctor originally said Very High Functioning Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

At the age on 1 1/2 he count count from 1-10 and recognized the word "Book" and "Word" anywhere he saw it. He would say "B.O.O.K book" and the same thing for word. He has always loved books. He could point at pictures and say what they were.
At the age of 2, he learned the Alphabet letters and phonics in less than a week. He new the basic shapes and colors. His was saying a few words and seem to be pretty much on track with his milestones. Some milestones he seemed to exceed. He used to say small sentences, "I want water", "I want an apple", etc.

Since we lived in an apartment. We had problems with our neighbor downstairs. I didn't allow him to run around or scream. In other words I didn't allow him to be himself while being in the apartment. I was going to college and was depressed since pregnancy. I feel that as I was going to school it affected him. He used to hate when I dropped him off at my mom's house. I noticed that from that time he stopped talking.
After I graduated college, my counselor advised for me take some time off and take care of my number 1 priority (my son).

At the age of 3, I noticed that he wasn't talking like other children. He was saying 1 word sentences. By 3 1/2 he was saying 2-4. He was trying to speak the way he thought I want it to hear it. Now that he is 4 he is speaking anywhere from 2-7 word sentences. He can read books and spell words. He started spelling before reading. His favorite books are Dr. Seuss. When he sees words he has never seen before he phonetically reads them. He can count from 0-100 and after that he knows what 200, 300, 400... is. He asks questions, making me know he wants me to ask him that question. For example: "Where do you want to go Mama?"
He knows the model of every car that drives by and every sign he sees while we are driving. Recently he received a Bear (stuffed animal) for Christmas from his teachers. He named him Anthony Bear. He has personalized his Bear and seem to be his friend. Age: 8, Favorite Shape: Pentagon, Favorite color: Purple, Favorite vitamin: Grape. etc. The bear likes different things than him.
His speech therapist is amazed by him. She has mention that word gifted and calls him Little Einstein.

Well that's the positive. Now for the negative (the things he doesn't like): anything the vibrates, bare-feet and TV cartoons.
Is afraid of: the bathroom at school, a specific dancing Santa, some images of sponge bob. He doesn't seem to understand some concepts. Used to echo almost everything that was said to him. Once in a blue moon he throws a tantrum. He is not very strong and he doesn't run fast. He can't jump more than 4 inches off the ground. And sometimes he misses words in his sentences. A kid at his school called him "Anthony loser", instead of feeling hurt he started laughing. I don't think he understands that is not a nice word. My husband and I don't curse, so he hasn't heard any bad words.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to know if anybody is going through something similar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
(female)

soozeq HB User
Re: HFASD (Asperger's) - Gifted?

Hi AntsMom

First of all, you're son sounds charming, very intelligent and adorable. You will not encounter judgement at this site. Second, welcome to the site, this is one of my most valuable resourses.

To me, you're son sounds like classic Aspergers. There are people at this site who have Aspergers, and they are always happy to share their experiences. As well as parents of AS kids.

It sounds to me like he has some sensory issues, which are very common for ASD kids. Does he get services? Maybe OT for senory integration?

It sounds like you're doing a great job with your boy!

If I could suggest a book to you, try 'The Out-of-Sinc Child'. I'm reading it now, and it's given me so much understanding into my son's behaviour.

Suzy

Last edited by soozeq; 01-09-2007 at 04:35 AM.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Your son sounds very similar to me when I was a child. I was also and avid and early lover of books, and did well in reading at school. Everything involving book learning was an area of strength for me. I was said to be very physically active and even athletic as a small child, but increasingly less so as I grew up. In elementary school, I failed the school physical fitness tests, but I was active in other areas, such as swimming, walking, and bike riding. I could not run fast, jump far, or throw a ball at all. I emphasized the academic rather than the athletic.

Good luck to your son! He sounds very smart.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

AntsMommy HB User

Thank you for the warm welcomes.

My son is currently being evaluated by the Child Study Team of my town. As far I know he will need OT and PT.
They did the OT evaluation. I think he did OK. He can cut straight lines and zig-zags. He doesn't cut circles or squares perfectly. And sometimes comes out of the lines when he colors. I noticed that he tries cutting and coloring fast so he can do something else. Also when he is too comfortable he writes bigger and messier.

He will need PT because he can't jump high and he can't run fast. His teachers at school are concerned of him climbing and falling. He has never fallen. They are also concerned with him being flexible. The Child Study Team still needs to evaluate him but I'm sure he will need the therapy.

Closed Thread