It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Question Is this part of Aspergers Syndrome?

Not being able to take a joke, taking everyone seriously? Seeing everything as black and white?

For example, i was watching a DVD my relative had sent me that he filmed himself and at the start of it, he was acting annoyed because he wasn't in the movie. My dad came in and saw it and said "Is that him all depressed because he's not getting his own way?" I said "He's acting! Are you serious?" He said "Yeah, well i've just walked in on it, so i don't know what's going on." But that's where the movie started and me and my mum never even thought that he could have been serious. We saw it as it was - a joke.

He suffers from depression and i suspect he has borderline personality disorder, so it could be possible he has this too. We say something jokingly to him and he takes it seriously or the wrong way and kicks off. We just can't have a joke with him, we have to watch what we say all the time.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User
Re: Is this part of Aspergers Syndrome?

In itself this would not necessarily be indicative of Asperger's. It would be part of the syndrome, but there would be other indicators as well generally a real lack of understanding social cues with others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

As firenice said, it is a symptom of Asperger's, but not all Aspies have it severely, and it isn't nearly enough to garner a diagnosis. We Aspies are very literal beings, and we don't understand hidden meanings. We also are very rigid in our thinking, which is why our thoughts tend to be "black-and-white." I do not have this symptom nearly as badly as some do because I am able to understand others' view points if they are explained to me, and I can usually get sarcasm and irony. (I, myself, am very sarcastic.) I do have trouble with sarcasm in writing because I depend on tone of voice to understand sarcasm. (I rely on smileys for sarcasm on forums and in e-mail.) However, I usually am the last one to get a joke. I will either need it explained or I will have to pause and think it over. Does he have any "special interests?" That's a hallmark of Asperger's. If he does have Borderline Personality Disorder (it's rare in males, but it is possible), then I'd say that his taking offense to everything may be from that. Borderlines get their feelings hurt very easily, and they often think that "jokes" are really you saying that you hate them and want to abandon them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 04-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thanks guys!

He gets jokes when a comedian is telling them on TV or whatever. It's just when regular people say something jokingly, he thinks they're being serious and takes it the wrong way.

He doesn't really have any special interests, he spends all his spare time watching TV. But most people have an interest, so you wouldn't be able to diagnose it by that, would you?

Old 04-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Shakira; 04-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

There is a big, big difference between a neurotypical's interest and an Aspie's interest. Yes, everybody has an interest, a so-called "passion" that they enjoy pursuing. But with Asperger's it's something else entirely. Our interest is an actual obsession, and it is all we can think about, all we can talk about, and all that we want to do. Everything in our life will revolve around this "special interest," and we will try in every way to pursue it, often introducing it into conversation in any way we know how. It isn't hard to spot a true Aspie. We try to "control" the conversation- about our "special interest." For example, when I'm in one of my really obsessive periods, I literally cannot talk about anything else. Somebody will try to get on a different subject, I will comment on what they said, and then I will go right back to talking about my obsession. I tend to "roll people over" when I'm in an obsessive period. Neurotypicals really, really like something; Aspies love something to the point where it truly is incomprehensible unless you have experienced it yourself. It is that intense. So, if your dad literally won't talk about anything else besides TV (a specific television show, how a TV works, TV schedules, etc.), then he very well may have Asperger's. If not, then I'd say that his chances of having it are very slim, unless he has a lot of the other symptoms. No, you cannot diagnose Asperger's solely by the "special interests," but it is a BIG factor in the diagnostic process. I know for a fact that it's what garnered my diagnosis. I present many other symptoms, but the obsessiveness is what makes me stand out.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thank you. It seems like he doesn't have it after all then. Thanks for the explanation, though.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

No, the lack of interests alone, again, is not indicative. Nor is watching TV every chance he gets. Depression could play a role; it could be some developmental delay. It could be some Asperger's elements. The best thing to do is find out what he needs to help his development and then apply those interventions.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Ok, thank you.

Closed Thread