It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
(male)

Weissman HB User
Schizophrenia / Asperger's Syndrome

Hello. I am 21 years old and have been diagnosed Schizo-Affective about 2 years ago. Quick bio...since a kid always exuded an intense imagination, timid, quirky sense of humor, very creative. I got into some very serious trouble in late teens as a result of a mistake i had made to another person. The whole thing seemed to throw me out of orbit. I'm still not better. But I do sometimes think that I may have a mild form of Autism (Asperger's syndrome) rather than Schizophrenic. My psychiatrist is a moron who talks to me for 5 minutes while doing paper work. Never looks at me. I tell him my paranoia's and he writes me off as Schizo right away.. But i often think that these negative symptoms I have would occur in anyone that went through the hard time that I did. It all went upside down after this incident. But i have always been very quirky, sometimes emotionally distant, obsessed with few interests and being extremely good in those interests. I do have outbursts of rage and frustration, but is it possible that I may have Asperger's rather than Schizophrenia?

Last edited by Weissman; 09-22-2007 at 12:37 AM.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
(female)

window HB User
Re: Schizophrenia / Asperger's Syndrome

Hi,

I have a similar query. I'm trying to work out if my 20yr old son has early signs of schizophrenia or Asperger's Syndrome. I have knowledge of AS but not of schizophrenia. You sound similar to my son. Yes it is possible you have AS. It can be misdiagnosed.

Can I ask what is schizo-affective?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

lauraz1957 HB User

my son was diagnosed with asberger's syndrome. As he got older, his symptoms became more severe. He was diagnosed last year with schizophrenia. It takes while to know, but there have to be positive symptoms for 6 months or more...delusional thinking, hallucinations of some kind, disorganized thinking, isolating and more. Asbergers has more to do with "quirky" behavior, perseverating on something, social problems, (inappropriate comments in conversations), etc. There are several good websites for AS. they should help clarify the difference.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

lauraz1957 HB User

schizo-affective is having schizophrenic AND bi-polar symtpoms

Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
(female)

window HB User

Thanks for repying Lauraz,

At the moment the thing that is concerning me is an obsession he has in developing a theory that explains the meaning of life. He is even testing the theory on random people in the street. He says that by explaining his theory to them he has freed them up to discover their true potential and intelligence.

It doesn't seem based in reality. So far there doesn't seem to be paranoia involved or suspiscion. But his thoughts on the subject seem disordered, and really wierd.

He has never felt like he has fit in society. He is struggling with working out who he is and why he feels the way he does.

There is a strong autism gene running on one side of our family as well as severe mental health issues on the other, so it is a bit confusing.

If it is early signs of schizophrenia is there any thing I can do when relating to him that might help? What would be important for me to be doing right now?

Anyone?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
(male)

Weissman HB User

Thank you for the reply and sorry about being a little late on mine.

I do relate to you your son, in a way of that quirkiness. I have always been eccentric, but people have always embraced it as a unique humor. I do not like the special treatment I seem to get when talking about real issues though.

I went through a bad event about two years ago that resulted in a lot of confusion and frustration. These cause the negative symptoms that psychiatrists believe to be shizo-affective, but before this incident I have always been a bit strange, though positive. I do think a misdiagnosis is very possible.

I do feel as though I am a convergence of my parents' individual mentality and therefore a repulsion of two mentalities inside my own body. My father exudes clear signs of this aspergers thing. He is totally disconnected and obsessed with very few things. Outside of these things, he is a total and complete idiot. And my mother has terrible mood swings resulting in rage at times.

bottom line, what should I do about this? I really don't believe medications are totally understood. Therefore I fear what they could be doing to my brain. Are there any special diets or routines that could help me deal with this/figure out my problem? thanks so much (good luck window)

Closed Thread