Teen with minor aspergers/autism, is that possible?
I am quite sure my 13 year old daughter has some kind of aspergers or autism, although she has not been tested. To the casual observer she appears to be a normal, very quiet girl. After reading information about this topic I see many things about her that would point to aspergers/autism.
1. As an infant we thought she could be deaf because she didn't wake up or turn to see us when we entered the room. We had her tested and she has normal hearing.
2. She used to love to play with objects that were the same only maybe different colors. M&Ms or any candy like that ,the bottles of different glitter glue in a kit,(She never used the glue), blocks etc..
3. She could add, subtract and do some easy multification in her head when she was 4. When asked how, she would tell us a wild method.
4. She could read at 4.
5. She has always been quiet and shy around people other than her family.
6. She is very smart. Skipped 1st grade and has been somewhat bored in school.
7. She does think highly of herself.
* 8. She has trouble with social situations and relationships. People seem to like her when they meet her but she does often say mean condesending things to people who are her "friends", also to her family members.
* Number 8 is the main problem. She is really having a hard time socially. She doesn't say she's upset, but does seem lonely. She won't attend school functions, join groups or invite anyone home.
What can I do now so that she doesn't end up alone? Does anyone else have a child like this?