It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
(female)

sue4713 HB User
Teen with minor aspergers/autism, is that possible?

I am quite sure my 13 year old daughter has some kind of aspergers or autism, although she has not been tested. To the casual observer she appears to be a normal, very quiet girl. After reading information about this topic I see many things about her that would point to aspergers/autism.
1. As an infant we thought she could be deaf because she didn't wake up or turn to see us when we entered the room. We had her tested and she has normal hearing.
2. She used to love to play with objects that were the same only maybe different colors. M&Ms or any candy like that ,the bottles of different glitter glue in a kit,(She never used the glue), blocks etc..
3. She could add, subtract and do some easy multification in her head when she was 4. When asked how, she would tell us a wild method.
4. She could read at 4.
5. She has always been quiet and shy around people other than her family.
6. She is very smart. Skipped 1st grade and has been somewhat bored in school.
7. She does think highly of herself.
* 8. She has trouble with social situations and relationships. People seem to like her when they meet her but she does often say mean condesending things to people who are her "friends", also to her family members.

* Number 8 is the main problem. She is really having a hard time socially. She doesn't say she's upset, but does seem lonely. She won't attend school functions, join groups or invite anyone home.
What can I do now so that she doesn't end up alone? Does anyone else have a child like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
(female)

palmwood HB User
Re: Teen with minor aspergers/autism, is that possible?

Hi I think that you are talking about my 13 year old daughter hear. She has got exactly the same problems as yours. I went to see my doctor about this and she said it was part of growing up. I don't beleive this. I have had to change her school this term cos she said noone liked her. Sometimes it is horrendous. Some evenings she puts the music on and she just dances dances its like she has to get something out of her system. She doesnt like change in anything either and she is really fussy over food. Sounds like they are twins.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Teen with minor aspergers/autism, is that possible?

There is an autism board on this site wherte you might be able to get more answers.
I also wanted to say that I've had social problems all my life, and never heard of Asperger's until about a year ago. As I read up about it, I'm pretty much convinced I have a mild form of it, and I'm 25. I feel like over the years I've sort of worked hard to learn some acceptable social behaviors that didn't come naturally before, but there are still some things that trip me up and I wonder how other people can be so natural about social interactions, and I have to think so hard about any face-to-face social interactions that I have.

Closed Thread