It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
(male)

Thefaint423 HB User
info about aspergers

are at least one of following, repetitive behaviors, strict rountines, motor cluminess always present in aspergers syndrome or no? BTW can someone who is aspergers, socialize for the to the extent of near to or normality with his family, or do signicant difficulties within that area have to be present as well, such as reading facial expressions, and being capable of having conversation? do the facial experssion problems usually only show up with other people or with family. Is conversation difficulty usually shown with the whole family. Anyways lemme explain why i'm asking this, i have a brother who can socialize fine with the family, me, and anybody who he is comfortable with (which isn't too many)... but with everybody else it is difficult for him to talk to, he has cyclothymia like me, so when he is hypomanic, you would probably decribe him as someone with no common sense when having episodes. I'm not sure if it's some kind of odd anxiety issue perhaps he's experincing. Because when it comes to going to our aunts house, etc he gets behaves fine, normal social behavior, polite conversation, etc. I would probably just describe him as a lil adhd around me (he is diagnosed with it). he doesn't have repetitive behaviors, strict routines, etc. I would say he's a lil focused on things and has a tendency to focus on something and have these big goals for it then drop it, but this typical AD-HD. Anyways what is it that you think? a few teachers thought he was a lil autistic, (he also told them that he had no idea how to socialize with people) but to be honest, i think he might have some sort of anxiety issue perhaps, maybe he doesn't know it, but thats what i think, because i don't see how somebody can act so different around some people, and not towards other. He does show a lot of anxiety symptoms. I don't believe he has difficulty telling facial expressions said that to me too. he knows what people think of who, and what people think of him, however when he's hypomanic it can be pretty distorted and i think if a teacher didn't know how to look for this, they may think there is something socially wrong with him.
anyways he can lie just as well as me about things. To be honest i don't know what is wrong with him. I mean it is possible to just be missing some certain elements socially without being called pdd-nos, aspergers, or autistic, right?

Last edited by Thefaint423; 10-14-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

4mykids123 HB User
Re: info about aspergers

My son has Aspergers, but he is high functioning. As with any disorder/syndrome, there are varying degrees. Aspergers is identified as a syndrome, which means that a person does not have to illicit all of the signs before they can be diagnosed with it.

When they talk about trouble with socializing, it does not necessarily mean that the person is shy and will not talk to people (although it could mean that), but it really has more to do with their inability to read social cues (also known as pragmatics) that the rest of us take for granted. I (along with help with a social worker, speech therapist, teachers, etc.) had to teach my son how to read social cues and how to interact with children his age. When he was in the first grade NO ONE would play with him because he would constantly ask questions and could not have a two way conversation with someone his age. He could get along with adults so much better because adults thought that his questioning was "cute" and that he wanted to know about a lot of things. So when you say that your brother does not have a problem with his relatives, this is not surprising. Your relatives, for the most part, will love you and accept you regardless of your faults. They have always known your brother to be how he is and they would not know him any other way. However, peers are more difficult, which will ultimately create anxiety in someone when they feel that they are not accepted. My son was quite young when he was officially diagnosed and he did not think that there was anything wrong with him. He did not even think that it was rude that the other kids did not want to interact with him and he called all of his classmates his friends, even when they wanted nothing to do with him. If another child tried walking away from him when he was asking questions, my son would either follow that child around until they answered all of his questions or he would go find another child and do the same thing. However, as he grew older and better understood the pragmatics of language, he became more aware that he was different and he wanted to be "normal". This started to create anxiety. This is probably what is happening with your brother.

My son showed the following signs:

1. Flapping of his hands and making shooshing sounds whenever he is excited
2. Asking more than the usual amount of questions
3. Asking personal questions of complete strangers (where do you live, are you married, etc)
4. High interest in a particular subject
5. Social cue problems
6. Anxiety issues
7. Needs a constant routine
8. Honest to a fault - he cannot tell a lie, and often states the obvious i.e. "That lady over there is fat" (while pointing straight at her)
9. Inability to focus and he has to be reminded what to do next

Only a neurologist can diagnose Aspergers, as it is a neurological disorder and is on the Autism spectrum.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: info about aspergers

Asperger's is a form of PDD- Pervasive Developmental Disorder. This means that the behaviors are present in a number of situations. Yes, the person with Asperger's may have more blatant symptoms with people they don't know (or the flip side- with people that they are more comfortable with), but no matter what, the symptoms do not go away. The person just may learn to hide it more so. For example, I can "fake" social interaction with people that I don't know for a short amount of time, but when I'm in an unstructured social setting with peers, my social awkwardness comes out. Also, I have more blatant symptoms with my very close friends and my family members, because I can be myself around them. I'm more "closelipped" and "less extreme" with people I don't know very well. However, once you get to know me, my rambling about "special interests," my anxiety, and my overall negative/pessimistic nature comes forth. Some Aspies, however, are more "inappropriate" with strangers, because they don't know to censor their questions, but they are more socially "normal" with those who are used to them. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread