It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
(male)

sluggman7 HB User
Could I have Aspergers?

I think I could have Aspegers, if I donít have it then I am not sure what Iíve got and what I can do about it. But one idea I am certain about is that I am not normal. I have known this for quite a long time, but at first I denied it because people said that it is bad to be different from the norm.

I have read about Aspergers and have spoken to online, two different people who have been diagnosed with it. Some characteristics of Aspergers I appear to have, yet others I donít.

I have few interests and they are intense, have always had difficulty interacting (though has improved), have difficulty knowing what to say in a conversation or how to start a conversation with strangers and I am clumsy. Yet I donít like routine and I am unsystematic, I actually have difficulty following rules that others try to force me to do and I often get into trouble because of this. I have also read that people with Aspergers have a tendency to when talking with other to have the conversation resolve around themselves, however I donít like talking about myself unless I have something interesting to say about myself and am capable of listening and responding to peoples questions. I also think I am able to empathize with other people.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
(male)

calgapa HB User
Re: Could I have Aspergers?

You certainly seem to have some of the symptoms, but this could mean many other things, including nothing.

It is best if you check the web for test kits (i think you can buy them from Mayer Johnson.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

archie9uk HB User

My husband was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 18, but he doesn't display many of the symptoms at all. Like you, he doesn't really like talking about himself, and he is very good at showing empathy. I found an online test for Aspergers and he got a score that was totally normal and did not indicate Aspergers at all!

Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Hi to all,

I'm a newbie here and have been living on the web searching Asperger and autism for almost a year since my 24 year old son was diagnosed.

In order to be diagnosed properly, you should have a neuropsych evaluation done by a competent hospital in the nearest major city where you live - for two reasons:

1. If you ever need to apply for a health plan or
social security benefits, they will want a complete and
actual diagnosis and
2. In order to get the best possible treatment and support
which is out there.

If your own doctor has no expertise with the autism spectrum disorders, then keep searching and you will find doctors who do. Psychologists and psychiatrists vary so much in their own ability to diagnose and treat and finding the right person is so important.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
(male)

welackmiracles HB User

Hello there. ^_^ I'm an Aspergian and I know how it feels to be different. As the previous poster suggested the only way to be sure is to be examined by a competent healthcare provider. Granted, many people don't know about/understand Asperger's so it may be lumped into a broader category. I was actually diagnosed with ADD because some of the symptoms are similar believe it or not. If I may make a suggestion, try this: ask your family members or friends to pay close attention to how you answer their questions or respond to their comments over the course of a few days or so. After a few days ask them if they noticed any strange or somewhat irrelevant answers or comments you said. Tell them to be honest and that it won't hurt your feelings that they tell you the truth! The reason I say try this is because a common trait of Aspergians is a very strong and unshakable internal thought process. A lot of times you'll be thinking so intently on a certain subject, analyzing all parts of a memory or subject, when somebody asks you a question you'll hear them ask it, but you'll reply with an answer that relates to what you're thinking about. Usually people without Asperger's would hear the 'question tone' and interrupt their thought process to ask the query what they had said. Aspergians often hear the 'question tone' and think the query is asking a question about what they are thinking, thus resulting in a somewhat irrelevant answer. In no way is this a conclusive test, because I'm sure this happens to people without Asperger's as well. But often this is a daily occurrence among Aspergian's and may be a sign that you are one. =) If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Hope this helps a bit.

Closed Thread