It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

DB1973 HB User
Asperger's Syndrome and ADD

My 8-year-old son has Asperger's Syndrome and it has been suggested by the diagnosing physician that he may also have ADD. The suggestion of prescribing Metadate has been brought up. I know that this medication will have no effect on the Asperger's and I am a little hesitant about giving it too him. I wanted to know if anyone else is in this situation.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User
Re: Asperger's Syndrome and ADD

I'm 27 and I have both Asperger's and ADD. I find strattera working well for me. It wont help the Asperger's, as nothing really will...but it helps us focus. With Asperger's we have our own "obsessions". Me, I confess, I am a woman, and I love clothes. But I cant stand stains nor did I "let go" of old clothes. I had to learn when it doesnt fit or if I dont wear it to give it to someone who could use them. I had to learn what personal space was. I love lists, give us tasks on a list please--we can go back and make sure we did everything. Also, I do not know if you are awre, but usually people with Aspergers gets depression real easy--watch for it. My mother, one of the few things she ever helped me with, gave me a binder with paper in it. She wrote The leters of the alpha bet on each page, and wrote good characteristics I had under the right letter. I get frustrated when I cant do something, and that binder helps me realize its ok I still can do t hings. We like routines as well. I have a friend who has a kid with Aspergers too. The kid is obsessed with food, between the two of us, we came up with a plan. We gave the kid their "very own" cupboard and had it stocked with things they picked out. but when the foods gone, its gone. there's no more til the next trip to the store. Takes more effort, but we eventually get it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

I have Aspergers. I also have allergies. They do more than just the "runny nose or rash" thing. My joints swell. I can't focus. I can't form sentences. I cry for no reason. I can't understand technical books. I can't start on a project. I can't plan or organize. When my allergies are bad, so is my ADD, but when the allergies are under control, the ADD disappears. I can tell when my allergies have kicked in because I have a brain fog, I speak slowly because I can't find the words, and have a difficult time focusing. Wheat is the major culprit for me, and when it is "hidden" in foods and I eat it unknowingly, I suffer the next few days. Some allergy meds make me hyper, but also make the brain fog go away. Guess it acts like a stimulant. With my history, I prefer to take an antihistamine and tackle the underlying allergy, rather than a med specifically for ADD. In the past I've had low cortisol, and the treatment was adrenal extract, another over-the-counter stimulant. I could think more clearly while taking it.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Honestly, there is no medication for Asperger's per se. Your doctor can prescribe for the symptoms of anxiety and depression but to my knowledge there is no medication that will improve social skills based on a neurological disorder such as Aspergers.

My adult son, 24, has Asperger and his meds are for mood swings, depression and anxiety - all symptoms that in and of themselves are treatable with medication. He is responding quite well now but it was hard finding the right meds for his symptoms. Now he is doing much better but is still an Aspie! He perceives things much differently than a neurotypical individual; not wrong just differently! I am happy to have him stable for the symptoms that he suffered all those years not knowing why he felt like he was from the 'wrong planet' so to speak.

With your young son, you should ask the doctor to tell you exactly what symptoms he/she is treating and why and with what meds. Then what I did was to look up all the side effects on the internet to see if I even wanted my son taking them! You have to learn how to become an advocate for your son and his future.

Closed Thread