It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jennpape HB User
aspergers/hfa question

Hi, question for parents who have a child with either aspergers or high functioning autism--

My son is 3 1/2 years old and is enrolled in a special ed preschool program. He was originally diagnosed with classic autism one year ago. Since he has been in school and getting speech therapy at home, his speech has increased from around 30 words back in September to a huge vocabulary and being almost able to start talking in sentences now. His other problems are the same: poor social interaction with kids his age, can't function without a schedule, and is obsessed with maps and memorizing countries. It's almost as if he became high functioning overnight.

The reason I am on this board is because the autism boards are more focused on lower functioning children and I cannot get help there. My son loves school and does well, but I have gotten a lot of comments from teachers and parents who don't believe my son has autism at all. Of course, not everyone understands AS or HFA.

My son's teacher thinks he has problems with hand coordination just because he doesn't want to color during circle time. I observed him at school and noticed that my son was watching other kids and wanting to join in with the talking and giggling, but he didn't know how. Instead he started getting upset and grating his crayon into his paper and tearing it. Since no one was paying attention to him, he sat there and talked to himself: zipper starts with z, zebra-stripes, stripes starts with s, sand-brown, brown starts with b, etc. His teacher thought he wasn't paying attention and kept trying to hold his hand, which made him more upset.

Has anyone else had to deal with others who don't understand these problems? I can't believe people have the nerve to tell me that my son would behave correctly if I punished him or that he could make friends if I let him hang out with kids his age. As if I am a bad parent and keeping him from developing correctly.

Last edited by jennpape; 03-20-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User
Re: aspergers/hfa question

You are not being a bad parent. Just work with him...it takes us extra time to learn things that come simply to others. Even personal space needs to be taught. And we each have our own obessions, your sons being the maps. Teach and be patient...keep working with it on a routine. I am living proof, I even have my own apartment because my parents put me in a class to teach me how to live on my own. My parents repeatedly applied for SSI and after 8 times I was approved, and given SSI. And just for your future know, Asperger's and Autism is the same thing. You put or autism in your post. Each of us are different, and Aspergers, like me and your son have, is very high functioning autism. It affects us socially. He isnt colouring, because he doesnt know how. Show him and try using examples. Show him how to hold crayon and tell him to be gentle like petting a kitty on the paper. Then maybe the paper wont rip. It takes a lot of effort, but due to my parents taking time and effort...I type, use computers, work, have my own apartment, have SSI, know how to cook, clean, budget..etc. I will tell you it irrated my parents though cuz of all the extra time they had to show me how to do things.

Closed Thread