It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
(male)

Trailback92 HB User
I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 6, but now I'm 16....

I don't have any of the DSM-IV symptoms. However my psychologist won't take away my diagnosis. Even though that I'm social, witty, charming, charismatic, and insightful into mine and other people's minds. What do you do in this situation, I mean I fulfil every ADD inattentive type symptom but not any Asperger's ones.

I mean Asperger's does not run in my family, Bipolar Disorder does though and my own has it. And I have had mixed episodes that lasted less than a day

I mean Jesus this diagnosis has haunted me throughout my life, and every time I forget about it, it bites me in the ***! I will stop at nothing, to prove that I do not have this syndrome and finally get rid of this diagnosis.

So what should I do now?

Oh yeah - P.S I'm a guy

Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennpape HB User
Re: I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 6, but now I'm 16....

The crazy thing is that all of these brain disorders, i.e., bipolar, AS, ADHD, etc., have a lot of similar symptoms and even well-meaning professionals can have a hard time diagnosing people. Plus, you mentioned it's been 10 years since you were diagnosed. A person can change a lot in that timeframe. I would definitely try to see a different doctor rather than convince your current doctor that your diagnosis is wrong. (I'm sure you know that no professional wants to admit he may have been wrong. Doctors get ticked when patients suggest that their symptoms don't match their label and imply that the doctor was incorrect.)

By the way, I was interested in your post because my son and cousin both have Aspergers and once my son was diagnosed, I was sure that's what my problem was. The symptoms really seemed to match and I can talk easily with others on asperger forums online. However . . . according to people who know me well, I am lazy and spoiled and I could change if I wanted to. They say my attitude has always been negative and if I would think positive thoughts, good things might happen. By the way, these "idiots" believe I am bipolar, although I have never seen a doctor or been diagnosed for this.

Why were you initially diagnosed with AS? Did you ask your doctor specifically what made him sure you are AS and not something else? Any decent doctor should be able to explain in detail why he diagnosed you the way he did. Even if your doctor is right, being AS won't hurt you. You may only be mildly affected.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
(male)

Trailback92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennpape View Post
Why were you initially diagnosed with AS? Did you ask your doctor specifically what made him sure you are AS and not something else? Any decent doctor should be able to explain in detail why he diagnosed you the way he did. Even if your doctor is right, being AS won't hurt you. You may only be mildly affected.
Well, this is what my current psychologist's report says (he got this information from the reports written the other psychologists who diagnosed me in the past):

"Aged 6, he attended the ___________ Child Developmental Service. He was assessed to have high verbal ability, with average non-verbal ability by the psychology department. At the Speech and language assessment he was noted to have appropriate syntax and language skills, but weaknesses in pragmatics and social communication. Specifically ____ was noted to have difficulty establishing and maintaining topic reference, was noted to use very literal interpretations, and his social awkwardness was observed.

He first had contact with the Child and Adolescent Health Service aged 8, when he was seen by Dr X, and later by Dr Y at the ______ Clinic. Dr X commented on ____'s verbal fluency in monologue, but this was lost in dialogue. Dr X reported complaints of difficulties with anger management at home. Dr X also believed that ____ had greater difficulty maintaining attention in noisy environments.

A educational psychology assessment at this time noted high verbal abilities, but weaker non-verbal skills, at the time attributed to anxiety interfering with ___'s attention management. These observations were consistent with his superior attainment in reading and literacy compared to his relative weaknesses in numeracy skills.

____ was also noted to have headaches and sleepless nights associated with school attendance, a limited diet, and increasingly volatile behaviour at home. In several reports ____ Is noted to be hypersensitive to clothing/shoes, and this continues to delay him when he struggles to find comfortable clothing."

This is all I can give you write now, but as you can see I did have quite a few of the symptoms. But now they're all gone, except for the cloths problems, which is mainly now due to my anxiety.

A diagnosis of Asperger's probably wouldn't hurt most people but it does and will hurt me. In my primary (elementary) school, I was stopped from moving any higher than the lowest class, as I was kept in the special class. I was patronized, humiliated, bullied to the limit and paralysed from fighting back. I'm back with a vengeance to stop the injustice, double standards and hypocrisy that destroyed my previous self.

Last edited by Trailback92; 04-04-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennpape HB User

Trailback92,

Yeah, it makes sense that you would be hacked off a little after all you've been through. The psychologist's report really makes it clear what your symptoms were at the time you were diagnosed and it definitely fits AS. However, you mentioned you were social, charming, witty, etc., as well as having bipolar. Have you ever wondered if your great social moments were due to hypomania or manic episodes?

I'm sorry if I'm being nosy, but for a long time, I was trying to figure out if I was really bipolar like other people say, or just AS like I thought. Most of the time I am really irritated and don't want to be around other people. Then there were times that I went to work and was so excited (for no apparent reason) that I was able to talk forever and entertain everyone by being dramatic and exaggerating things. On days like this, everyone would stop what they were doing to pay attention to me because they thought I was hilarious. I can't keep this up, though, and eventually go back to being my usual irritated self. People often comment that I "changed" or they constantly ask me "what's wrong?" all day, which gets on my nerves.

Like you, I was great at English and related subjects, but couldn't do math once algebra started. I remember being made fun of everyday. I never had the right clothes, I never said the right thing socially, etc. There was always something funny or wrong with everything I did. I didn't know how to react while being tormented, so I would be quiet and keep walking. That didn't help much because other kids would push other students into me and cause me to drop my books. I was so confused and anxious I would stand there for a while before I could pick up my books. I don't know why, but I wasn't able to do anything or say anything to these kids. All I could think about was that I was going to be late for class if I didn't hurry up.

Anyway, Aspergers didn't exist when I was little (I'm 30), so I'm hoping I can get diagnosed so I will at least know the reason why I've suffered so long. I'm sorry you still have to put up with this stuff since you're only 16. Please don't get yourself into trouble trying to get revenge on others who are mean to you. I've lashed out at people and I am the one who always ends up in trouble. When you are the odd one out, others seem to know how to gang up and place all the blame on you for anything that goes on. I wish you luck in trying to get a correct diagnosis and getting any unfair labels (if any) removed from your name.

Last edited by jennpape; 04-04-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

Trailback92 HB User

Quote:
Trailback92,

However, you mentioned you were social, charming, witty, etc., as well as having bipolar. Have you ever wondered if your great social moments were due to hypomania or manic episodes?
Ever since a trauma caused by my dad's last manic episode, I've completely changed/reversed psychologically. I'm like a normal person except with an edge, (i.e. some Asperger-like characteristics: rigidity/inflexibility of thought, single-mindedness, not taking other's opinions into account etc....) I hate English now but I love all science related subjects except maths even though I'm very good at it now. I want to be a zoologist or possibly a marine biologist when I'm older, and make a positive change to this planet, and leave my mark on human history. I being and still being social, are not due to moments, it's chronic.

Quote:
Please don't get yourself into trouble trying to get revenge on others who are mean to you. I've lashed out at people and I am the one who always ends up in trouble. When you are the odd one out, others seem to know how to gang up and place all the blame on you for anything that goes on. I wish you luck in trying to get a correct diagnosis and getting any unfair labels (if any) removed from your name.
When I used to have Asperger's I would always get in trouble, but now, I'm very skilled at deception, I wouldn't call myself the odd one out though I may stand out, as I've been told by doctors that I'm unnaturally muscular for my age, due to my weight training (not like a bodybuilder but more like how the latest james bond looked).

Either way I want to keep going but at the same time get my problems sorted out. I thank you for your tremendous help and advice; I wish you the best of luck with life.

Regards,

Trailback92

Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
(female)

Cassandra72 HB User

Information about you written by your psychologist (or anyone) cannot be sent or told to anyone without the written consent of your parents and then, when you are 18, from you. So hang on and in few years you get a fresh start. When you go to college and on to work, no one has to know your history unless you tell them. The only advantage to having a diagnosis is to qualify for services that you might want or need. If you are curious about whether you still meet criteria for Asperger's, that is another issue. But as an adult, you don't have to get assessed for anything you don't want to. Lots of people are a little quirky and don't want or need a diagnosis for anything.

If your parents got you assessed when you were 6 it was because they were concerned about you, wanted to understand you better and help you. It is too bad if things did not turn out that way.

Closed Thread