It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
(female)

iwantmybrobak HB User
Unhappy My brother has Aspergers and has just had a Psychotic Episode

Hi all

My brother is 18 and was told 12 months ago after many assessments that he has Aspergers.. when we read up about it, we couldn't believe it. It was him to a tea!!! Although since his dagnosis it's like things have gotten worse with his behaviour. It breaks my heart to see him so sad and frustrated at what his life is like...

He was very depressed about 6 weeks ago and mum took him back to the GP who prescribed him an anti-depressant drug Zoloft. He was very reluctant and didn't want to take it.. he researched the internet on what side effects it may have etc etc.. anyhow we convinced him to take it..

We noticed some improvement and he was actually smiling again (at times), so we assumed it was working, but he didn't feel it was.

Anyway, Monday night he had a "Psychotic Episode" at home... He was completely delusional and making accusations about my fiance "pushing drugs" through the house and was convinced whole heartedly that we were all talking about it etc..... Anyway after outbursts of rage and then crying etc..we decided to ring an ambulance. It was clear he had mental health issues (after weeks of noticing changes in him).. He agreed he wanted to go to get help.

Well... now he has been send to an adolescent mental health hospital and is in the High Dependancy Unit.. but then they let him go in the free zone area and he jumped the fence and took off!!!!! Mum and I were devastated and worried as he doesn't have any friends that he would've have gone to. We ended up finding out he went to hs grandmothers house miles away in which he caught p/tspt with NO money or ID. Cutting a long story short we got the police to take him back there last night and he wasn't a happy camper.

We went and visited him today and it was soooooo SAD. I don't know what's happened to my little brother or whether or not it's possible to help him??? He seems like a different person now.. He is back in the HDU and there is no TV no music no nothing except for another girl in there with him with clearly a lot of mental health issues and the nurse that stands there watching them.

MUm and I felt so bad leavng him there, it's awful...

Will he ever be ok again?? He has implied in the past that he doesn't care if he dies and hates that he can't hold a job and sits in his room 24 hours a day only coming out to eat.

I have cried all day today.... its just not fair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: My brother has Aspergers and has just had a Psychotic Episode

It sounds like your brother may be bipolar. Antidepressants can trigger psychotic episodes in bipolar persons. What medications are they giving him? Asperger's wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with this. I think it was the Zoloft. How long will he have to be there? I wish you well.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Psychotic episodes are not a part of Aspergers. Sounds like a bad drug reaction to me.

I tried Zoloft once, it did very weird things to me mentally. Sort of the opposite from your brother - someone could have cut my leg off and I wouldn't have cared. Many of us with Aspergers have to take very tiny doses of meds, maybe 1/2 to 1/4 of the normal dose. We react to meds in odd ways sometimes. Hopefully, they've taken your brother off the Zoloft by now.

A psychologist who specializes in Aspergers could provide him help in understanding why his conversations seem to go haywire sometimes, and why the world seems so odd. Regular psychologists can provide a little help, but if they don't understand Aspergers, they are pretty useless, and we can tell it, and won't waste our time.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
(female)

iwantmybrobak HB User

Thanks this has helped me a lot. I have told mum that both post's have suggested it may be the Zoloft and we have advised the nurse's of our opinion on it and they said they will let the DOC know on Monday when they come in to see him, as they don't work weekends.. (go figure!) So for now he is still taking the drug because they said they can't just take him off it.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
(male)

Willp1981 HB User

I think your brother probably has Asperger's too even if the episodes was from the Zoloft. Ask him if he feels like people at his work places or schools have misunderstood him or what he thinks of them. A lot of people are cruel to people with AS because they just don't know better and being paranoid and sitting in his room all day is a big sign to me that he has been misunderstood by people.

On a positive note people with AS usually can focus on something to infinity and it seems like all of us have some activity or hobby that we focus on like crazy. If your brother does not have a hobby then take him out and get him one! As soon as he focuses in on something he enjoys then his mind will go off of these issues he's having and onto that. Be patient too and teach him about the disorder, I think the reason AS people do a lot of annoying things and then get mad when people ridicule them is because they just don't know they are even doing it.

As for holding jobs that's just a tough one because people just suck, he's just going to have to do the best he can to hide his symtoms and make a good first impression. It may take him some time to find a job or school environment where all the people he interacts with appreciate him but once he does he will be a lot more grateful because of the experiences he is dealing with now.

Good luck, I went through the same crap as a kid and I eventually made it to law school...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I would be shocked if he is really Aspy. Most Aspbergers kids behave pretty normally, but they have some quirky behaviors. They are smart, smile, laugh and are funny and do everything everyone else does.

However, if they are behaving in a high functioning way, it is probably due to lots of love and OT, possibly some meds and special supplements. No narcotics. also, Aspies may need help in class, and some psychology visits to explain what is going on. but for the most part, nowadays an Aspy can fool most people and just seem dorky or quirky.

many of our scientists and musicians, artists are Asperger.

Seriously, I would listen to the others on this thread who have said bipolar. I know that if a bipolar person is misdiagnosed it can be tragic.

Last edited by golfhat; 01-04-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
(male)

Sus Ano HB User

With so little to go on I don't feel I could offer much advice about the diagnosis or not. I can note that depending on a couple of things including the age when the social and communication problems started, it might Aspergers or it might something else including something called prodromal symptoms which can preceed psychotic illnesses.

I don't know much about their acceptance criteria but if you are in Melbourne, AU you might have access to one of the best early psychosis intervention programs in the world.

[url]http://www.eppic.org.au/contentPage.asp?pageCode=VISITHELP[/url]

Good luck.

Closed Thread