It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User
I wonder if I have Asperger's Syndrome

So, I just visited the place I will be moving in to, which comes with a few roomates. It was alright when it was just the one person who I've known for awhile that was showing me around, but when the other one showed up I got pretty nervous.

The one person who I knew for awhile, started talking about the girl he went with, the other roomate got confused and said "I thought you meant *him*, I was like...okay" and he pointed to me I thought. The way he said it, made it seem like he thought I couldn't get someone.

It seems strange for a person to insult someone they just met, especially a roomate. But, I guess for me this can be taken in a general way b/c I often times have trouble reading between the lines.

This made me think about what someone said in my earlier threads, if I have Asperger's Syndrome? I always have problems perceiving whether or not someone is insulting, joking, or if it was simply an innocent comment. I am going make an appointment with a psych and see if this person can help me with my problems perceiving other people. Is this a good idea? Would it even help me if I had this?

Last edited by TryAgain121; 02-08-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: I wonder if I have Asperger's Syndrome

that may have been me that suggested that.....
why don't you search healthboards by user name Gatsbyluvr1920
she's a very intelligent young lady who has Aspergers and you could learn a lot by reading her posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Hmmm...I just read your post about the colleague at work and the blow up doll. Sounds like your biggest problem is your low self esteem. And I can say this having had lots of therapy for MY low self esteem which also caused me to examine everything everyone says to me in a paranoid manner to work out whether they were trying to 'get at me' in some way. It does seem a very big symptom of low self esteem and anxiety.

I know it's hard but try to stop caring so much what people think about you and find ways to have more fun in your life. Seriously - I'm giving you the advice that I've had to apply to myself because I've been so miserable at times and tortured by what I perceived as people's digs at me. Once you're having fun you'll care less about this stuff. And once you're having fun you'll be a more fun person - not dwelling on things so much. So find some hobbies. I know it sounds basic and actually it is.

Look it up Aspergers on the 'Net by all means but your symptoms don't strike me as typical, you sound anxious and a bit paranoid and, as I've said before, low self esteem. If you can afford it you need some therapy. And Valium's not the answer because it's addictive. If you're going to go on any medication for your SA a SSRI would be better but you'd need to discuss it over with your doctor or psychologist/psychiatrist.

And stop saying you're a loser and an 'evolutionary mistake'. That's terrible. You're not going to be happy with that sort of thinking. You're only a loser if you give up on trying to be happy. Don't give up.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixibel View Post
Hmmm...I just read your post about the colleague at work and the blow up doll. Sounds like your biggest problem is your low self esteem. And I can say this having had lots of therapy for MY low self esteem which also caused me to examine everything everyone says to me in a paranoid manner to work out whether they were trying to 'get at me' in some way. It does seem a very big symptom of low self esteem and anxiety.

I know it's hard but try to stop caring so much what people think about you and find ways to have more fun in your life. Seriously - I'm giving you the advice that I've had to apply to myself because I've been so miserable at times and tortured by what I perceived as people's digs at me. Once you're having fun you'll care less about this stuff. And once you're having fun you'll be a more fun person - not dwelling on things so much. So find some hobbies. I know it sounds basic and actually it is.

Look it up Aspergers on the 'Net by all means but your symptoms don't strike me as typical, you sound anxious and a bit paranoid and, as I've said before, low self esteem. If you can afford it you need some therapy. And Valium's not the answer because it's addictive. If you're going to go on any medication for your SA a SSRI would be better but you'd need to discuss it over with your doctor or psychologist/psychiatrist.

And stop saying you're a loser and an 'evolutionary mistake'. That's terrible. You're not going to be happy with that sort of thinking. You're only a loser if you give up on trying to be happy. Don't give up.
I am trying to evaluate my schedule so that I can set up an appointment. Thing is, my concern is solely whether or not the psych would be helpful. Either they might sugar-coat it, or just won't offer any good advice. I'm so confused right now.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

It doesn't sound like aspberger to me. It sounds like social anxiety and self esteem issues. You sound sensitive to other people's opinion of you. It is hard to read between the lines with a lot of people. Especially if you have a history of people making comments that you didn't like, now you may misunderstand people's motives when they say something to you.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by negot View Post
It doesn't sound like aspberger to me. It sounds like social anxiety and self esteem issues. You sound sensitive to other people's opinion of you. It is hard to read between the lines with a lot of people. Especially if you have a history of people making comments that you didn't like, now you may misunderstand people's motives when they say something to you.
Either way, it makes me partially socially stupid.

Anyway, I made those appointments. I wonder if this will actually help me.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it can't hurt!
congrats on taking that first step!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
(male)

TryAgain121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
it can't hurt!
congrats on taking that first step!
It might hurt my finances, but at this point I need something to point me in the right direction.

Closed Thread