It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

aspiemama HB User
Question SSD hearing coming up dx-Asperger's Syndrome

I am diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and the issues that keep me from working are anxiety, panic disorder, medications that make me drowsy all day, and ocd. All of these are common for people with AS. I had an attorney but he did not keep up on anything, only filing previous info for appeals, etc. I requested an expedited hearing for dire need and it was granted. Now I need to decide within ten days if I will be represented. I have studied law and interned with an attorney for a year before my diagnosis a year ago. Of course I was obsessively counting all the panels and lines in the courtroom, LOL. Anyhow, my psychologist whom I see weekly sent a letter to ODAR stating this..among other things...

"Though she is bright and initially presents herself well, she does not have the ability to do work related activities in a consistent manner, even in a job situation that requires minimal skills."

In this latest letter (since my last denial), he lowered my GAF score to 50 which is "Serious" range when it comes to performing at a job. The last denial stated that I was able to do online school, take care of kids, and maintain a business. the truth is that I was falling apart and having a break down. So now, when going to my hearing, I will describe the breakdown and why I had to drop out of school, close the business, and resort to staying at home instead of working.

How do you think I will fair? I plan to tell only the truth that pertains to my work issues which I have a long history of conflict and quitting due to all of these issues. Haven't had a real job in 15 years, well over 3 months. I ran our business into the ground because of conflict and bad decisions. Now my hubby just works. we need money for me to afford our house and for me to be home with my kids whom need my help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
(female)

Anna1959 HB User
Re: SSD hearing coming up dx-Asperger's Syndrome

I think you have a very good chance of winning your disability. I have sevre anxiety and panic disorder and OCD, plus a few physical conditions that make it impossible for me to hold down any gainfull employment. I have been before an administrative law judge three times sinse 1998, and I have been granted and SSD and also continuing SSD. There is no way I could be in a work setting, when all three disorders kick in I would have to walk out to pull myself together, if thats even possible. I would be fired. I did not have a lawyer either, I represented myself. I told the judge that only I knew myself well enough and the only other person was my husband. I told only the truth, yep, I broke down and cried as I felt I was worthless, but it tends to make you feel that way when you have to fight for something you need so badly. Don't be affraid to show your true emotions, that is you, and you will feel much better for it. We that have these disorders should never feel ashamed or feel the need to explain till we are blue in the face to friends and family. My doctor also wrote a letter stating I was unable to work and why. I know it helped quite a bit. Take a deep breath and go in and let it all come out.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes. : )

Anna1959

Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi aspiemama,
Had you any type of diagnoses under the age of 18 years of age? Did your parents have you in any type of extra help in school?
Was or is your social skills limited? Soical Security wants to know what the limitations your disabling conditions have on your overall functioning in your daily life. Autism is a spectrum disorder, and even when a person has Asperger's it a a struggle to maintain social intraction, and understand cues that other people take for granted. In Asperger's a person is highly inteligent, but struggles everyday to meet the demands set forth in today's society . Not understanding basic social awareness, or cues can have a devastating impact on a person with Asperger's.
Social Security is not so much concerned about the diagnoses as the effect it has on the individual's life. they will see that you are married, have children, once had a buisness, are very intellegent>
That is going to be tough. What you have is very real. If you have any records or evidence from before you were age 18 proving that you have a diagnoses of these conditions this will help you.
Typically Autistic Spectrum Disorders show up in childhood. Social Security Security needs to know that you have had this most of your life. It has been a struggle to you. It will support your case.
I have a son who is on the autistic spectrum. He is also cognitive delayed.
The more evidence to support your claim the better.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
(female)

aspiemama HB User

Mscat40, yes, I suffered all of the symptoms of AS as a child. Sensory issues, social withdrawl, inability to read others intentions, social cues, severe anxiety, panic, lower grades because of my disorganization and because no one picked it up. I was in high school in 1990-1994 and I worked so hard to compensate and cope; I am just now learning how to "be myself". ASD's begin at birth and end at death. I am one of the many who "slipped through the cracks". Every job has been the same, severe anxiety, panic, and I quit. Or, in the case of self employment, I get taken advantage of, or I get in disputes with landlords, employees to the point of detriment for the business. I disagree on the fact that I am married and have kids will count against me. Many people with AS get married and have kids. My marriage troubles due to my AS and coping mechanisms is documented in my psychologists notes. Both of my kids are diagnosed with AS as well. One is already on social security. I am intelligent and have a normal to high IQ, however, I am unable to function at work because of my anxiety, ocd, panic issues. Life up until my diagnosis a year ago has been pure heck for me. So, I just wanted to help you realize that adults do live with ASD's, and we struggle just as much, if not more than kids do. Awareness is critical. AS runs deep in my family. My brother was diagnosed as an adult, and hasn't been able to keep a job past a year, my two nephews have it, one diagnosed, my oldest brother has it, and my father has it. Very hereditary. Luckily I have a good psychologist who helps me get through life each week. Anyhow, thanks for responses.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

hi there,
PLease , do not misunderstand me. it was not my intention to imply that Social Security will hold it against you , because you are married and have children! it was simply pointed out that you have done very well for yourself , despite your disabilites and struggles with Asperger's Syndrome.
As I tried to point out in my previous post Social security looks at how the disability has affected the individual's overall functioning and daily life . Many people have disabilites and continue to function to a degree that social security does not feel is severe enough to award a claim of full disability. That is all i was trying to point out. However, on the hearing level many claims are won at this stage. There is a high precentage of claims won.
I wish you the best and hope things go well for you.
I am very aware of autistic spectrum disorders because of my own childs autism and cognitive delays. I see how this developmental disability affects his peers and other people in different age groups too. Some kids very severe, and some kids at a very higher functioning level.
I wish you all the best.
I hope it you are awarded your benifits .
Cathy

Last edited by mscat40; 05-25-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
(male)

carthur HB User

Quote: Now I need to decide within ten days if I will be represented.
-----------------------------------------------------

You will have a better chance with representation. Representing yourself in a disability case can be looked at you not being in need of disabiliy insurance.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
(female)

aspiemama HB User

yeah, I hear you on that. I think I will get my previous attorney back on it.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
(female)

aspiemama HB User

Cathy,

thank you for your kind words. Don't worry, not misunderstanding you. You are exactly correct on how SS looks at cases like mine. Most people generalize unless they are living with an ASD, or living with someone who has an ASD. I didn't take anything you said as anything other than what most people believe. In other words, I didn't take it personally or as if you didn't understand or that I was trying to correct you. : )

I hope that life goes well for your son. As a mother of two children with AS, I know that it is difficult. Thank God that I have a husband who understands. I am still new to understanding life as a person who now has an official diagnosis at the age of 32. Early intervention for your child will greatly help him. I wish you and him the best.

: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
hi there,
PLease , do not misunderstand me. it was not my intention to imply that Social Security will hold it against you , because you are married and have children! it was simply pointed out that you have done very well for yourself , despite your disabilites and struggles with Asperger's Syndrome.
As I tried to point out in my previous post Social security looks at how the disability has affected the individual's overall functioning and daily life . Many people have disabilites and continue to function to a degree that social security does not feel is severe enough to award a claim of full disability. That is all i was trying to point out. However, on the hearing level many claims are won at this stage. There is a high precentage of claims won.
I wish you the best and hope things go well for you.
I am very aware of autistic spectrum disorders because of my own childs autism and cognitive delays. I see how this developmental disability affects his peers and other people in different age groups too. Some kids very severe, and some kids at a very higher functioning level.
I wish you all the best.
I hope it you are awarded your benifits .
Cathy

Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
(female)

My own child was diagnosed at the age of 3 1/2. Since then, he has always been in special day classess and had help from the Regional Center. I should be grateful that he is on the higher functioning side of the spectrum. However with the cognitive delays, it is difficult. He's been on SSI for yrs. However, I became fully disabled , and then he was placed on my record automatically, because I recieve SSDI benifits.
My son is turning 16 in AUG. So at the age of 18, i have to re apply for his SSI as an adult all over again. To me that sucks. However, It was not difficult to get him on SSI the first time, and he was awarded easily. With the M.R. and autism too , it is just a pain to have to start over once he turns 18 yrs old .
Social Security can be so difficult for a lot of people. I hope things go well for you, and understand very well how autism spectrum disorders affect people's and families lives. I am glad it is more out in the open nowadays. ANd I do feel there is a strong genetic link to it.
Best wishes to you,
Cathy

Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
(female)

Alexa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiemama View Post
yeah, I hear you on that. I think I will get my previous attorney back on it.
You said you haven't worked in 15 years therefore you are not able to get SS disability, you have to have worked at least 5 steady years of the past 10, full time to get enough credits. So you would have to apply for SSI, that is for people who don't have enough work credits, but if your husband makes under a certain amount you won't get SSI either. Unless I am missing something, or your husband doesn't make much money.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
(female)

aspiemama HB User

Oh, sorry that I must have written it wrong. What I am saying is that in the past 15 years, I haven't been able to keep a job longer than 3 months at a time. Really, the first 5 years of my worklife, I couldn't keep a job because of my issues. The past 10 years I have been self employed. I paid into social security every year for the past ten years because of my business, however, I have been unable to function properly in running my business. I had the heart to be sucessfull, yet my husband quit his good paying job in order to work the business with me. Since he did that 7 years ago, my schedule has been eradic. I have made poor decisions with the business, I got into confrontations with many employees and a few commercial landlords. I would be "passive agressive" because of my anxiety, ocd, and panic issues. Then, when I allowed certain behaviors and actions to go on at my business too long, I would blow up causing conflicts. In the past year I literally couldn't function at my business any longer. Even going in there caused panic, anger, anxiety, etc.

My son is on disability and my daugther is being asessed for AS also which means that if I qualify she will automatically get ssi. At least this is what I was told.

UPDATE: I am meeting with a local disability attorney who is well known at the hearing office (when I called in for my hearing date they mentioned his name with a friendly, "Oh yes, Mr. Jones." In fact, my psychologist was the one who suggested him and he goes to my church. I am meeting with him the first week of June, and my hearing is scheduled for June 23rd.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
(female)

If you are awarded SSDI your children will be entitled to benefits. This is not SSI. My son was cut off his SSI , when I got on SSDI, he was placed on my record, and recieved benifits, because he is my dependent child .
The same thing would happen to you, if yours was SSDI. Your children are entitled to benifits off your record.

Closed Thread