It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

wrightk HB User
7 year old nephew is this in the autism aspergers spectrum?

My nephew is 7 and I am worried about him.
He is going ok academically at school, asks a lot of questions the teacher says. Most days does not want to go to school. Struggles with playing any group sport, yells out and or cries.
Yells out and has to be asked to wait.
Has one friend, but doesn’t ask to see him outside of school, this is prompted by his mum.
Has not been invited to any parties all year or year before.

Last edited by wrightk; 08-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: 7 year old nephew is this in the autism aspergers spectrum?

poor guy, he sounds like he has so many struggles. yes, he might be showing symptoms of asperger's. i think it might be a good idea for your family to have him evaluated by a professional and then have supports put into place in his school through an educational plan to give him the help he needs. medication might also help with his frustration and compulsions.

he is still young enough that many changes can be made in his well being and outlook. let us know what happens.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-25-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: changed title of post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

Listener52 HB User
Re: 7 year old nephew is this in the autism aspergers spectrum?

It's been a while since your original post. Has your son been diagnosed?

From the research that I've done it seems that many children with Asperger's get teased or ridiculed in school due to their inability to pick up on facial and vocal cues from others. And though there is no "cure", help can be obtained through behavioral training; helping him to understand how to respond appropriately, pause when speaking to others (to give the other person a chance to speak), how to make small talk and why people do it, etc.

I wish that someone had taught me about my Aspergian father years ago. But finally finding out about this has helped me to help him and my family.

I wish you all the best of luck (and patience). I hope that you have progressed well sinceyour last post on this.

Cheers,
Listener

Closed Thread