It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
(male)

EseStud HB User
Asperger syndrome

I have just recently discovered that I may have Asperger syndrome, and I have lived 28 years of my life undiagnosed. Now I'm beginning to realize why I have had so much trouble when I was growing up with socializing properly, talking the way I do, teachers constantly complaining about my absent-mindedness and constantly being the victim of bullying. I would have had so many more friends and developed so many more relationships if I didn't have this awful disease. And I think it's affecting my life even now, since I can't socialize and I have symptoms of OCD. I have always been outgoing and felt a need to be in the company of people, but I'm afraid my behavior has driven most people away, because people can easily feel threatened by those who have the disease. I am trying to find a psychiatrist in my city who can help, and I live in Houston. Or do I need to see a psychologist? How am I supposed to deal with this issue? Somebody please help!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: Asperger syndrome

It may be helpful for you to see a therapist since it is causing you distress. My sister was finally diagnosed with Asperger's at age 40. Many people with Asperger's end up leading very successful lives. A therapist may help you learn more about how you relate to the world and help you learn strategies to address the issues you are facing. I wish you the best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
(male)

EseStud HB User

I am seeing a psychiatrist, and just had a behavioral/personality test. Based on the results, she will be able to prescribe me the right medication and possibly set me up with a therapy program to learn social skills. But is it true that AS is much more common in males than in females? Why is this?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

ruffledfeathers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EseStud View Post
I have just recently discovered that I may have Asperger syndrome, and I have lived 28 years of my life undiagnosed. Now I'm beginning to realize why I have had so much trouble when I was growing up with socializing properly, talking the way I do, teachers constantly complaining about my absent-mindedness and constantly being the victim of bullying. I would have had so many more friends and developed so many more relationships if I didn't have this awful disease. And I think it's affecting my life even now, since I can't socialize and I have symptoms of OCD. I have always been outgoing and felt a need to be in the company of people, but I'm afraid my behavior has driven most people away, because people can easily feel threatened by those who have the disease. I am trying to find a psychiatrist in my city who can help, and I live in Houston. Or do I need to see a psychologist? How am I supposed to deal with this issue? Somebody please help!
Were you diagnosed by a doctor? If so ask for a referral, if not go to a family physician for the official diagnosis and then ask those questions of where to go and how it is treated.. The best to you! Sorry, I did not see all the threads for the info that you are seeing a provider.

Last edited by ruffledfeathers; 12-14-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Closed Thread