It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

Dexus HB User
11yo with adhd and aspergers

Hello,

I have a friend who's son is 11 and has been diagnosed with ADHD and mild aspergers. The child takes medication for both and has been for 5 years.

There's been ongoing issues with the childs attentiveness at school and at home, and just in general. Inability to follow direction, outbursts, problems with kitting kids at school, unable to complete homework or assigned tasks, etc. etc.

There's issues with the child not eating food due to the medications (he's extremely thin and below avg. weight), and to make up for not eating, he is given ice cream shakes and poptarts with icing for breakfast, basically a sugar packed meal. He's then given melatonin to help with sleeping.

My friend is having a difficult time as expected dealing with this, and has asked for my opinions. Here are observations I've made and what I conclude:

1) Replace breakfast with a healthy(er) meal (eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, grains, oats).

2) Take the child off of the medication. It's been 5 years, and while it does seem to keep him calmer than when he is off of it, he's so out of it that it's virtually impossible to really communicate with him.

3) He doesn't spend any time with friends and is not involved in any sports, so I would say begin to see about him spending more time with the 1 or 2 friends he has, and enrolling him in a sport.

These 3 are the main things i can think of.. with the importance being on cleansing his body...

Anybody have any feedback? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
(female)

elepots HB User
Re: 11yo with adhd and aspergers

there realy isnt any meds for AS and as for adhd alot of that can have to do with discipline and diet the least amount of sugar and caffiene the better i think she should ween him off the meds and start from scratch.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: 11yo with adhd and aspergers

there is actually an autism board that might be able to help you better. The folks on that board have a wealth of knowledge and are great. Best of luck to your friend.

Closed Thread