It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

timberface HB User
Exclamation My Brother Has Aspergers--Resources?

Hello;
My older brother is 27 and has Aspberger's Syndrome. He was diagnosed about 10 years ago, and the psychiatrist said it was the worst case he'd ever seen. He's quite removed from reality. Even now, he lives alone, but has gotten complaints from neighbors in his complex when he's gone outside in the parking lot shirtless and shoeless, even in the dead of winter, and been talking to imaginary characters and flapping his arms around.
He lives off of social security disability income, but it's hardly enough to pay the bills. He tried college, and while he's very intelligent, he could not stick to the required schedule and always ended up failing his classes until he got kicked out for poor grades.
Are there any other resources available? He is a genius, and I just can't accept that this is all he has in store for him, a high school education and a government income subsidized by myself and my parents. Is there any other government funding he may be entitled to? Any other job training programs that may be able to help?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: My Brother Has Aspergers--Resources?

Yes, check with your state's Autism Society, they usually know lots of resources in the area. Also, many states run a Vocational Rehabilitation department, which helps one find a suitable job, if possible. They can provide training, help with transportation, and job coaching. They pay for tests and training (sometimes). He may need short bursts of classes, such as online courses, or to earn certificates (such as the Microsoft certification program) in two week intensive courses, rather than trying to follow a regular college curriculum. There are numerous IT training companies that teach classes for large companies, and they have many 2 week to 3 month certification courses in various topics. New Horizons is one that comes to mind. (My son is brilliant, but Voc Rehab said he would not be a good candidate for college due to his problems.)

A psychologist (not psychiatrist) trained in Asperger's could help him with the social skills, flapping, learning when to talk to his imaginary friends/ when to keep silent, etc. The local Mensa group may also appeal to him, they're usually filled with brilliant, but quirky and unique people.

It's very possible that your brother does not perceive all this to be as much of a problem as the neighbors and family do. Hopefully, some of these suggestions will appeal to your brother.

Last edited by roses4lace; 02-16-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: My Brother Has Aspergers--Resources?

Contact your local county office of developmental disabilities and ask to speak with a case manager and explain the situation. They will most likely set up an appointment to meet with you and your brother to evaluate his situation and see what kind of job opportunities and living situation supports and other supports that he would benefit from.

Closed Thread