It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Kat41 HB User
Coping Skills & Aspergers Adults

Hi all, my s/o I believe has aspergers. We are in the beginning stages of gettnig him a diagnosis, as it apparent he has so many of the indicators.

How can i help him see how important this is, if not for him, then his children?? How do you get asn AS adult to care about getting diagnosed??

Last edited by Kat41; 03-08-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
(female)

elepots HB User
Re: Coping Skills & Aspergers Adults

if he isnt concerned about being aspergic then neither should u there is no cure so a dx will not make much of a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Getting a diagnosis only points the direction. He will have to grasp that some of his behavior is causing "misunderstandings" in his life, and that it is in his power to change - not for someone else, but of his own free will so his life will be calmer. This is hard, almost impossible for some of us to grasp. Every "problem" mentioned feels like a personal attack. Some states have groups that meet monthly so individuals can talk about how they are affected, and how they cope and deal with the rest of the world. A psychologist trained in Asperger's would be helpful. Mine helps me interpret conversations that go haywire. She also recognizes when I'm headed to an event where I may get stressed, and we talk about how I will handle things if I do get upset.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
(female)

Kat41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elepots View Post
if he isnt concerned about being aspergic then neither should u there is no cure so a dx will not make much of a difference.
Thanks- I did have much more in here, but shortned it as I felt maybe it was too long..he feels he may have it, and possible his kids too..however his ex has made a comment in a court order about her son saying he had mental issues as his father..my s/o was disagnised with bi polar..but I never believed it as I knew a cpl bp ppl and they were sooo different..his sons actions are text book autisum/aspergers..and researching adults spelled it out for me for my s/o.
Someone on here suggested it..and as I already felt his son was an aspie..I was amazed at how so many sites described my s/o..therfore..he needs a new diagnosis...so his son can get help instead of medicated as he did. Yet my s/o doesnt really like to dooo too much when it comes to anything really..

Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

Kat41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses4lace View Post
Getting a diagnosis only points the direction. He will have to grasp that some of his behavior is causing "misunderstandings" in his life, and that it is in his power to change - not for someone else, but of his own free will so his life will be calmer. This is hard, almost impossible for some of us to grasp. Every "problem" mentioned feels like a personal attack. Some states have groups that meet monthly so individuals can talk about how they are affected, and how they cope and deal with the rest of the world. A psychologist trained in Asperger's would be helpful. Mine helps me interpret conversations that go haywire. She also recognizes when I'm headed to an event where I may get stressed, and we talk about how I will handle things if I do get upset.
Thank you, I am looking into a support group for me..and a Dr for him with an understanding of AS..there are very few here in my city it seems.

Closed Thread