It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
(male)

Quixote23 HB User
Overcoming Asperger Symptoms

I want other aspies out there to know that it is possible to be able to speak, have a wonderful conversation, which before we considered so boring, to smile really wide with no effort, and be outgoing. The professionals call it "high functioning autism", which we all know who have it, there's nothing high functioning to it. I had to live with it, undiagnosed, for 20 years (I'm now 37), and after experimenting with every drug in the book it seems like, and with every class of medications, I've found the right combination for me. My IQ is an 81, and I am extremely impaired in every single area of learning. I couldn't carry on a conversation to save my life. And I've been in college for probably 10 years to try to finish a 4 year degree. But with the help of a couple of liberal doctors who empathized with what I wanted to do, it came down to a combination of 4 medications, and with them working together, now I have everyone saying that it's obvious there's nothing wrong with me. And that I'm faking that I have a disability. I also have BP Disorder. Counselors and doctors whom I see these days, I can tell, think I'm on some trip of some kind, that I want have an asperger identity or something ridiculous. It took me 16 years of experimenting, and people calling me weird, saying I had no manners at the table, lalala. Now that all of my cognitive functions are working at %100, and I can smile as big as anyone, and that I'm relaxed, and can talk to an adult like and adult and make jokes with them, the people that I meet these days don't believe me. Folks, it is possible, but only for those who are interested in going with the medication route. So don't give up! But I'm not trying to offend those at the same time who choose to take a different route. It's just a matter of taste.

Last edited by Quixote23; 03-07-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

BUBBLENOODLE HB User
Re: Overcoming Asperger Symptoms

Your experience is appreciated. Medication can work. There are many of us though that don't respond well to medication. When we share our issues, medication is usually the first route availble through health practitioners.

So it has helped some of us but it's more than a matter of taste. That 'taste' has contributed to the growing number of 'consume survivors in the autism community.

Also remember that professionals rarely go back on a previous diagnosis so those who are misdiagnosed go on with a long list of diagnosis when all along, autism was the major piece for them. People have died because they were autistic, diagnosed as bipolar, their behaviours mistreated and as much as BP diagnosis can be empowering, it is some times a muzzle for autistic individuals.

There isn't enough knowledge and sensitivity around autism to say that medications are as safe for us as a group as they are for the general public in my opinion.

Closed Thread