It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
(male)

Quixote23 HB User
Overcoming Asperger Symptoms with Medications

I want other aspies out there to know that it is possible to be able to speak, have a wonderful conversation, which before we considered so boring, to smile really wide with no effort, and be outgoing. The professionals call it "high functioning autism", which we all know who have it, there's nothing high functioning to it. I had to live with it, undiagnosed, for 20 years (I'm now 37), and after experimenting with every drug in the book it seems like, and with every class of medications, I've found the right combination for me. My IQ is an 81, and I am extremely impaired in every single area of learning. I couldn't carry on a conversation to save my life. And I've been in college for probably 10 years to try to finish a 4 year degree. But with the help of a couple of liberal doctors who empathized with what I wanted to do, it came down to a combination of 4 medications, and with them working together, now I have everyone saying that it's obvious there's nothing wrong with me. And that I'm faking that I have a disability. I also have BP Disorder. Counselors and doctors whom I see these days, I can tell, think I'm on some trip of some kind, that I want have an asperger identity or something ridiculous. It took me 16 years of experimenting, and people calling me weird, saying I had no manners at the table, lalala. Now that all of my cognitive functions are working at %100, and I can smile as big as anyone, and that I'm relaxed, and can talk to an adult like and adult and make jokes with them, the people that I meet these days don't believe me. Folks, it is possible, but only for those who are interested in going with the medication route. So don't give up! But I'm not trying to offend those at the same time who choose to take a different route. It's just a matter of taste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Quixote23; 03-07-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User
Re: Overcoming Asperger Symptoms with Medications

Quixote, do you think it was because of your anxiety issues that you had so many problems before? And that because of the bipolar, you tended to overreact to things? I'm wondering if my 13-yr-old son has a mood disorder in addition to his being an Aspie, or if it's just that he's cranky and mean w/o meds.
Married 31 yrs, 18-yr-old NT daug in coll, 13-yr-old Aspie, adopted 2 days old. Poss mood dis. LD but only 1 gr behind; priv school; wheat/gluten-free, milk-free diet; Adderall, Imiprimine, Clonidine.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
(male)

Quixote23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJ2 View Post
Quixote, do you think it was because of your anxiety issues that you had so many problems before? And that because of the bipolar, you tended to overreact to things? I'm wondering if my 13-yr-old son has a mood disorder in addition to his being an Aspie, or if it's just that he's cranky and mean w/o meds.
You are right on the money!!!!! Yes, I had a mood disorder throughout my adolescents and adulthood, that I know. What I truly believe happened afterwards was I was tried on a couple of different anti-depressants for my depression. I started on Effexor at one point, for one year. And then it was like, bam, full blow bi-polar kicked in. Basically I believe it was chemically induced! However, as time went on, I had since pubert had not only a mood disorder, but a resentment towards my family. It came from nowhere, and lasted until three years ago. As I learned over the years through medications, chemistry and medications can have effects that make no sense, so this one doesn't either, but certainly may be worth a try. I started on a mood stabilizer for my bi-polar. I felt nothing for a month and a half and was about to stop taking it, until I started loving my father for the first time since I was a child. I came off of it to see if it was the Lamictal. After testing it, it was. I'm not saying it will have that effect, but Lamictal is one of the best mood stabilizers primarily because it has no side effects at all, and it helps in some way. But it's subtle as hell, and it takes somewhere between a month and a half to two months before the person starts to notice he's not acting or reacting to things like he used to. Like all aspys, we can take anti-depressants, and feel them within 45 minutes; as the "normal" population it takes around the two week mark. If you have any further questions, especially how to take celexa, which is very, very specific, feel free to ask me. Steve

Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User

Well, if you don't know you are bipolar, you're going to end up being prescribed typical antidepressants. In fact, one of the quickest ways to figure it out is to do exactly what you said, and undergo the extreme reaction. I'm on another board and lots of parents watch their kids go through a brief psychosis b4 they realize they're bipolar. Luckily, the parents understand that it's all experimental and temporary and that the kid is not completely out of his or her mind, just on the wrong medication.

So far, my son has reacted very well to his imiprimine, adderall and clonidine. He would have had a reaction yrs ago if he were truly bipolar. Then again, you don't have to be bipolar to have lamictal or celexa work for you.
Also, he's going through a hormone issue and some of this may be typical teen behavior.

I was just thinking back to when I was his age, and I loved staying up late, reading, writing in my diaries, "spying." Everyone let me get away w/it because I was an excellent student and easy to get along with.

My son, OTOH, is mean, quick to anger, lazy, unproductive, uncooperative, and a slob. So when we catch him up at midnight on my daughter's computer, which he has accessed by chiseling away at her TWO locks w/a screwdriver, we don't cut him any slack. He lies, and then covers his lies w/dumber lies.

He doesn't get it.

How old were you when you "got it"? I mean, when you understood that your actions affected others, without being told?
Married 31 yrs, 18-yr-old NT daug in coll, 13-yr-old Aspie, adopted 2 days old. Poss mood dis. LD but only 1 gr behind; priv school; wheat/gluten-free, milk-free diet; Adderall, Imiprimine, Clonidine.

Last edited by TerryJ2; 03-23-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
(male)

Quixote23 HB User

Alright. You must have forgotten what I wrote. I didn't say anything about "not knowing" I was Bi-Polar. I am now, and have been for years. The depression part of my cycle hurts 5 times worse inside my head, PHYSICALLY HURTS, than it ever did before. My mania keeps me up for 2-3 days when these two cycles occur. But between the Lamictal and Topamax, they occur much less often. When they do occur, I'll take a seroquel at night, and at times, the next morning I'm actually back to normal. But not always. Ask anyone who's bi-polar; it sucks. But the right medications make life very very manageable.

Now, back to your son. One mistake I see all the time that happens not just by the parents, but by the psychiatrists or physicians taking care of them. I used to have a girlfriend who had a younger cousin who would always come over who was severely ADHD. This kid was practically running around the house for God's sake, not accomplishing anything, and into everything. I asked what was wrong with him, when they would tell me, they would also say,"Yeah, the doctors have him on Ritalin." I'd ask them for how long. And they would say about 6 months. You could probably easily see what's wrong with that picture already. "Ahhh, Folks.....Ain't Work'in!!! Better go back and see the damn Doc. Ever think of that?" I am NOT coming down like that on you at all. It's much more subtle to you and your family in your sons case that you may not have realized that one of the meds either isn't doing it's job, the combination is messing with him, or they're not doing him any good at all. It's time for a change. First of all, clonodine.....the doctor's use that to stop certain types of behavior. However, I don't know if it's eliminated any of his bad ones, but I can tell you that it is majorly screwing with his emotions. It happened with me, and with some simple research I did on the internet, < edited > there were aspy's that were put on it by their doctors that stopped taking it within a week for the same reason. It's ruining the benefits that the adderall should be giving him. I have to look up imiprimine. But I have a suggestion. We can't give medical advice on the message board, but if it were my son, I would have my sons Adderall/mg/day cut in half; and I would take control of it, since my son may be taking more and more, which is making his "hormones" increase higher and higher; hence, the screwdriver to the computer to the "websites". I would place my son on Lamictal, since it has no side effects in all of the studies that I have read online. Maybe %2 may have some at most. But since puberty is the most difficult time, i.e. the meaness, which I can tell you from my own experience of being mean, he's probably getting a rush off of some of it, and miserable when he's mean the other, or depressed. So I would talk to the doctor and work to find another mood stabilizer that works that has no side effects; that is, it doesn't make him feel bad inside mentally (or Physically). The psychiatrist that started treating me and nailed everything down after 10 years, prior to the bi-polar part, in which I had left town at that time so I had to work with another one, always told me to be obsessed with one thought as I was working with my medications in alleviating my bad behaviors and problems with speech, Asperger's related symptoms, was this: Although there is no such thing as normal, when it comes to finding the right combination of medications to treat your symptoms, ALWAYS LOOK for normal. Just food for thought that if a medication is having a bad side effect, don't live with it. Toss it, and ask the doctor what's next on the menu. Neither you, your family, nor your son deserves to suffer when you see something not working. Lastly, I would, based on other MALE aspies in particular, I would place my son on a couple of drops a day from the liquid form of the Brand name Celexa. It's very specific.

Lastly, the part that's probably going to make you the most upset unfortunately, is your son, as did I, and I had a severe form of Asperger's, very severe; he knows how to look and play dumb as good as any class A actor ever could. Me and my mom have been bonded at the hip since birth; I'm a moma's boy. She could read me better than anyone. But when I was going through my cruelty, verbal abusiveness, meaness, towards HER of all people, my dad would charge at me and I could fool him and even my mother who was crying and having her believe it was her that misunderstood me. That part we do well when we hit puberty. I'm guessing he was a very sensitive child.
But believe, he's gotten it; hell, he's the one holding it. He just knows how to make you feel like he doesn't so he can get away with being an *** and getting a charge out of it while being the victim all at the same time. But try and calm down about it, because there's a way to change all of this. As I type this letter, my father, who I basically hated from the time I was 14y/o until 3 years ago, is sleeping in the next bed over in a motel 6 here in Eugene, OR where I live, visiting me and helping me find a new place to live (my other place got flooded), and we're having so much fun together; Father and Son! Don't give up hope my man!

Steve

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-24-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
(female)

SocialWorks HB User

I was diagnosed as BP in the past, then diagnosed with Aspergers a few years later...after I tried MANY different medications only to suffer a lot of sideeffects.

Come to find out, I'm hypersensitive to everything.
My fascinations were seen by professionals as manic.
My manic reaction to antidepressants lead them to BP.
I know people can be dually diagnosed but in my case, medication is not the way to go at all.

And, as part of an Aspie group, no one is taking medications. Too many people got slapped with the BP label and was given meds up the wazoo. Most professionals who understand Aspergers have told me the same thing: stay away from psychiatrists (and other professionals that love to prescribe pills for every symptom under the sun that don't understand Autism.

I've met quite a few consumer survivors that now only work with naturopathic doctors and they seem to be doing well on the natural stuff.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
(male)

Quixote23 HB User

I'm very very glad to hear this! It's the safest and healthiest way to go! Psychiatrists don't know what the hell they're doing with Aspergers; much less with the combination of Asperger's and Bi-polar disorder. In fact, one of my former girlfriends who has Asperger's and is Bi-Polar has been told by every doctor but one that she had no signs of having Aspergers. I don't even need to explain how BP can mask Asperger's during phases of a cycle. I was personally lucky that I had a psychiatrist who taught me techniques of isolation of medications (so you knew how each one worked on it's own) before adding another one or trying another one. It's a tedious, nerve-racking, constant puzzle that was a personal fascination for me to solve, but the best route to go is homeopathically. No doubt!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User

Wow. Very interesting, Steve.
So, extrapolating from what you said, my son clearly loves to push my buttons and that could be helped by different meds. I'm debating whether to have him put on Lamictal ... but don't know if that would actually change his behavior toward me. We've been in therapy for yrs, and he insists that he loves me--it's just that he knows what's right and that is a fact.
HA!
We just had a huge teacher's mtng yesterday at school. (He was there, so was my husband.) Even w/all the interventions put in place, he's flunking out. The teachers said he has a new behavior, that of clowning around and distracting the teacher and other students. We're wondering if that's the Imiprimine. They also said he is completely unorganized (again, we've got tools and interventions, but you can lead a horse to water ... ) and he needs to turn in his homework. Sometimes he does it and loses it, and other times he flat out lies about it. He's been flat-out flunking his tests.

After the mtng, he immediately started in on me about taking him to a friend's house. This friend is way older, and has nifty computer games, all networked so they can play together.
I said no, we needed to go home and get organized. He said he was stressed out and he had no homework.
I repeated that he's flunking and needs to read his books, regardless whether he has homework.
He insisted he only looks at his books when he has a specific assignment and "These are the facts. That's the way I will always be. I am different. So take me to my friend's house."
Right.
He just doesn't get it.
I dont' think that's a medication thing.
I don't know. I am just so tired.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
(male)

Quixote23 HB User

If IT WERE MY SON, I would have my sons Adderall/mg/day cut in half; and I would take control of it, since my son may be taking more and more. I would then place my son on Lamictal, since it has no side effects, is a good mood stabilizer, and could possibly help over a 2 month period in his and your familys' relationship. I would also have my son tested (there are 3 types of tests) for learning disabilities. I since this might be one of the reason he's avoiding doing homework and going to class. Lastly, I would place my son on a couple of drops of the liquid for of Celexa per day. It's very specific. Do not listen to the Psychiatrist(s) or Doctor(s) who either say they've never heard of this approach, or that it's not necessary, or the most popular, that it's not even a therapeutic dose and he won't have any effect from that low of a dose. The one fact I've learned is a person who has Asperger's syndrome feels anti-depressants within an hour of taking them, as opposed to a week, and that within the hour of taking merely two to three drops of liquid Celexa, he will not longer be withdrawn or an attention getter; because Celexa hits social areas of the brain, and gaming like your son does won't seem as fun to him, because the neurons that are stimulated in gaming are going to going to stop, because the neurons in these “social centers” will be stimulated, and the blood in the brain will rush to a different area to where the neurons are more active, hence with no blood flow, those neurons needed for gaming will not be reinforced by this rush, which is addictive, and he'll also feel much freer when his social skills come back to a normal level.

Good Luck!

Steve

Closed Thread