It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

woodysummer89 HB User
Question Roomate with Aspergers?

Ok, so my boyfriend's roommate is so strange! He has gotten weirder throughout the year and thanks to my religious viewing of ANTM, I remembered a girl on the show with Aspergers a few seasons ago and it made me wonder...
His roommate is anti-social, does not have a friend on this campus ( a true friend not just people who are overly nice to him) and he's been here three years. Aside from that, the only stories he ever tells us involves his brother, cousin, dad, and dad's friends. Furthermore, these are the SAME stories over and over again. Additionally, they are inappropriate, things you wouldn't tell other people like about your family friends dad beating his daughter while he was drunk. He also has this really monotone voice that draws out words.

Moreover, he is obsessed, legitimately addicted to computer video games. He holds hour long conversations with his dad, bro, etc, about what he is doing in them. He also texts my bf or interrupts him on the phone, doing homework, etc, to ask him to do something for him in the game. On average theres at least 7 hours a day going on of games. He will put aside all other work to do this. Additionally, this causes him to like legit never go pee, and eat at approximately 3pm and 9:30pm at night. He doesn't know when to stop. One night my bf and I were in trying to sleep and he kept playing after an hour and a half of not getting our angry sighs, storming outs, proclamations that we were tired, we finally got up to leave, he questions it, we say were going to my house to go to bed, instead of saying oh im so sorry like a normal person, his response is oh ok see ya later. He basically can't pick up when people are mad, bored, annoyed, etc.

Lastly, he doesn't understand cleanliness, personal space, or time management. His stuff is everywhere, he doesnt brush his teeth, he waited till his hair grew should length to cut it, if you turn on a video on computer or tv he will stand right behind you mouth wide open. He talks to himself constantly and just does weird things like laughing while playing with the water washing his face. He constantly asks for extensions on work citing some ridiculous lie but this is also do to his video gaming. Oh, and he plays the same 3 songs on the guitar over and over again regardless if you are trying to watch tv or on the phone similarly to talking to you.

Are these things normal??? I know inability to pick up on emotions, being socially awkward, attraction toward video games, talking to oneself, and a strict schedule with repitition are all borderline. Any ideas??? Thanks, sorry this was so long, he does a lot of strange things!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Roomate with Aspergers?

Definitely sounds like Aspergers to me. Is your boyfriend going to find a new room-mate???

Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
(female)

PatC1959 HB User

Sounds like you need to have a chat with a student counsellor. Some of those behaviours sound familiar for Aspergers

Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I agree with the others. And just so you know, it's not his fault. People with Aspergers are born with it. Early childhood intervention can help, but it's often not diagnosed until much later. Just try to deal with him by being kind, asking exactly for what you want him to do instead of dropping hints, and communicating very literally and directly.
If one of you want to talk to him about your suspicion that he has Aspergers, be sure you don't make him feel bad about it. Just suggest he talk to the school counselor. Maybe there are some resources available for him.

Closed Thread