It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
(female)

jade jackson HB User
My beautiful 8 yr old boy-aspergers? (long post..grab a coffee)

Hi im a newbie
im really glad i found this site. I feel that my beautiful 8 year old boy has Asperger, through "maternal instinct" and lots of research
I have been separated from his dad for almost 2 years now..at the beginning it seemed like it might have been a reaction of our separation but i now realise the behaviour and symptoms have been there long before
My boy has funny mannerisms, flaps his arms like his flying. he smiles inappropriately, making funny face gestures. He is a very clever boy. very artistic..loves to draw and read and beautiful handwriting yet,.he doesnt get the flow of a conversation at all. It worries me.because he is actually very clever so why cant he connect conversations in his head??.He forgets very easily and gets frustrated very quickly. He snaps at his sister and overeacts at the smallest things. Is very sad, like he doesnt belong at school but tries so hard to fit in, yet he says inappropriate things and can be hurtful but hasnt understood why another person would be feeling sad. He doesnt "understand" emotion. He occasionally has this overwhelming need to obsess on a topic and just doesnt let go.He is also very sensitive to noise sometimes and the more people in a room talking together, its like he charges up like electricity and goes hyper. Sweet/coloured foods send him right off. Senstive to light.
It took years through being with his father that i noticed a site like this one where a woman described her husbands behaviour..so much like my situation .He had Adult add. I feel that this is genetic. His dad was dyslexic as a child. His father was very angry inside and not a good communicator thinking i was alway "out to get him". and very inappropriate in social situations
Sad thing is, his dad wont have a bar of helping me to see a psychologist about his own son..To try and learn ways of us of dealing with him and teaching him how to interact with others.
Maybe its a reflection of his own behaviour and his father just wont help his son as it triggers insecurities of his own.l dont know.
Where do i turn? How can i help my boy adjust to a sometimes cruel world (espeially at school )i feel scared that he will be a victim of bullying because of his awkwardness that is very evident. He is lanky and makes silly noises not caring where he is. I feel helpless..I cant be there with him all the time as dad has him 1/.2 the time.Yet i need to help my boy ,.any hints?? I am very desperate as my boy needs to know he has a mother (at least) that can guide him and help him through this

Last edited by jade jackson; 05-03-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: need to be more specific

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: My beautiful 8 yr old boy-aspergers? (long post..grab a coffee)

i strongly agree with you that it would be so right for your son to be seen weekly by a counselor or therapist who could help him discuss and understand all of these social situations that he needs help with.

ask your pediatrician for a referral and/or see who your insurance will cover for this counseling. it should be with someone who understands the issues of asperger's. good luck.

Closed Thread