It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

Rebecca Hawkins HB User
Encopresis and Aspergers

I am new to this board and wish to find anwers to my son's dilemna. He is 7 yrs. old and has Aspergers, with recurrent encopresis and constant bed wetting. I want to know if there are other parents out there that have had any success with Miralax, and/or if there are other recommendations? Also any advice on the wetting? He will do this in public and says he doesn't even feel when he's wet! He also walks around with stool in his underwear as though he is completely unaware of it.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: Encopresis and Aspergers

Hi Rebecca,
I am a child and family social worker and occasionally see children with Aspergers. I wonder if it would be helpful to see someone who could do an evaluation of your son and help him with his situation. Seeing someone who works with kids who fall within the Autism Spectrum might be helpful. Has he had a thorough check up at the pediatricians? Good luck to you.
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
(female)

Rebecca Hawkins HB User

Thank you for your reply Penny. Yes we've seen his pediatrician and he prescribed Miralax. I haven't had much success tho. I need friends who have children with this problem so I have a support group. I am struggling to cope and have MANY distractions in doing so because I have 3 other young children at home and one who has defiance issues. Both of the special needs children I have are adopted. I didn't know I could have my own children and now have 4 of them!!!! I appreciate any response/support I can get....my husband and I are in over our heads. thanks-

Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

penny70 HB User

Hi Rebecca,
If you've had him checked out physically it may be he has some emotional concerns. With 4 children and multiple adoptions there may be issues he's dealing with you might not know about. I think if I were in your shoes I'd have him evaluated by a social worker with some experience that can look into his history. You've really got a lot on your plate! Hope you can find some answers.
Penny

Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
(female)

Rebecca Hawkins HB User

Yes, he's in counseling on a regular basis..but I believe the emotional issues go hand in hand with the Aspergers diagnosis. It's difficult to walk through and I'm looking for support from what I understand there is no cure. I can only hope that he will be high performing despite his difficulties. I am looking for support and that's why I posted this. I want to vent and people who don't have a similar issue cannot relate, and tend to shy away from talking about anything even close to a subject matter like this. When we adopted him we had no idea of the issues he'd have. He was young and we thought if anything we may have concerns with his older brother but he seems to have adjusted fairly well. You are correct in his home life being a bit "busy" with the other siblings and such. However even in the worst of situations I would never have imagined walking through this. He is a loving boy who truly wants approval, and is a year ahead in school academically... Yet he is in special day due to his social concerns. His Psychologist has done play therapy which has helped but I don't see that as a cure all either. He is in a world of his own when it comes to some things and that is that. I wish I could get more help for him. We are moving to Mo. and here in Ca. have gotten some help through the sch. distr. but it's been long in the coming and no idea what kind of resource we may get there. I felt he should have had an OT and some therapy for emotional issues long ago. Not sure how to get more help than what we already have...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
(female)

penny70 HB User

Hi Rebecca,
I can see where you have some real concerns. Each school district is so different and not very many seem to have enough in their budgets to help everyone who needs it. Hopefully, there'll be help in Mo. I know sometimes families hire educational advocates in order to help them through the system. OT sounds like a good idea, too. Have you had a Sensory Integration Evaluation? They can be helpful. The accepted treatment plan for children with Aspergers is usually working in a group with someone who can do very concrete training. I think 1 to 1 work can help, too. Some of my peers are working with older children who are wanting to start dating, etc. and need guidance on just how to go about it. Have you seen the movie Adam? That, I thought, was hopeful. It sounds like your son has some significant strengths which is great. You're right there is no cure but training and guidance can make a big difference. Have you tried having him have his BM the same time every day, preferably home in the a.m. or later p.m.? It would be great not to have to deal with that in the daytime. Do the teachers at school have a plan on how they deal with it?
Penny

Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
(female)

Rebecca Hawkins HB User

No I haven't heard of the Sensory test you speak of what is it and how does it work? I'm a little disappointed frankly with the assistance he has gotten from school as far as the one on one but really alot of that is because we truly didn't have a dianosis until recently and they were treating him for ADHD which only made him worse. Yes I watched "Adam" and cried profoundly...that movie gave me alot of hope and also helped me to chill out a bit about it all. I really appreciate your help, I'll pick up resources anywhere I can get them!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

penny70 HB User

A Sensory Integration Evaluation would be able to tell what kinds of things make him uncomfortable, related to sounds, touch, smells, etc. (related to his senses) and what kinds of things might help calm him during times of stress. What comforts one person might make the next more stressed. If he can learn some techniques to calm himself and become more relaxed it could help him be more able to focus when he needs to or just be a happier kid. Sometimes hospitals have departments who do them. Schools will often pay for them. Some kids like hard pressure, there's all kinds of techniques that they could recommend. Googling it might be helpful in explaining it better than I'm doing. Have you thought of joining a group? It's always good to have someone to talk to that knows where you're coming from. There may be some near you.
Penny

Old 06-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
(female)

Rebecca Hawkins HB User

Ok I will google it and look into it right away. I will join a group. I wonder when and where but so far I'm on this health board and I think I can join a group on facebook as well. We are involved in our move and that is everything right now...ALOT of details. I definately need support of individuals who have been, or are going through the same thing...I realize that now. He is getting assistance medically, and psychologically and the rest of us need it too! This has affected our entire family. In alot of ways we are so much more resilient now, and truly not sweating the small stuff in life anymore...but my husband and I are wearing thin and have a life of our own we still plan to enjoy someday. I am going to make the effort to reach out more online and perhaps others will have resources they know about that I don't and help to lead the way for us. Again I appreciate your feedback and knowledge it has been a gate opener for us and I have more hope than I've had in a long time now. Keep an eye out for my post's and I'll update as often as we reach milestones etc. Hopefully the encopresis thing is going to resolve over the summer we are really working at it with him. Also, all three boys will begin fishing with their father and continue on with Boy Scouts once we reach Mo. They're little hearts should be in heaven by then!! bye for now, and thanks again

Closed Thread