It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
(female)

Monica Solis HB User
Concerned Mother

My son, who will be 10 next week and was diagnosed with Asperger's 2 years ago, has recently started pooping in his pants. He has been wetting himself during the night and day for several months as well. Many others that are dealing with similar issues have mentioned emotional issues, bullies, encopresis, and several other possible causes. I have sat my son down and questioned him about the pooping and wetting himself and he says that it is none of those things and that he simply just can't feel that he has done it. Any suggestions or any other little bit of information would be helpful. I have emailed his psychologist, but he does not have a history of responding timely. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Concerned Mother

Has their been any changes lately? This is what first comes to mind. Or is he just not making it in time to the potty? If he already was trained and now regressing something must have triggered it. My son who is a lot older would wet himself a lot, not that it showed through his pants, but doing laundry I could tell. But, in his case he has to be onthe bus for a long period of time to and from school , so he simply cannot hold it.
Things like being on a scheduled routine always helps a child . Perhaps reminding him to go to the bathroom on a consistent basis will help him, then praise him for doing so. If he does well with praise , and can get back on track, maybe you could tell him he could get a special surprise if he can keep his bathroom needs up for lets say a month. A little encourgaement and trying to be positive and having an incentive for him might solve it all together.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
(female)

rvngarcia07 HB User

I have learned from a friend that people with asperger needs more attention and should always have some activities to do.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
(female)

My last nerve HB User

Hi there,

I haven't heard of this kind of behaviour before but I do have aspergers. I think that a good psychotherapist might be able to dig a bit deeper and help him uncover his unconsciousness.

I have emotions but I cannot express them beyond 'good' and 'bad' when asked. You might also want to try a different form of communication (like written).

When you say that he says he doesn't feel anything and it just happens, it could be a deep emotional response to stress that he isn't emotionally aware of or cannot express in another way. Something happens...a thought / memory crosses his mind and he shuts down perhaps? If it is anxiety, once again, a skilled professional should 'hang out' with him and observe his behaviour.

People with Aspergers oftentimes communicate differently; with others and themselves. One thing I've learned is that even if you can speak well, for some of us, behaviour is how we communicate to ourselves and others that something is wrong.

I wouldn't call it deliberate though.

When does this happen? At home? school? both?

Closed Thread