It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

mamalori HB User
Help, my son hits, kicks, and spits all the time

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions to help with my son. He is 5. He constantly hits, kicks, and spots at his 9 year old sister usually until she cries. I am constantly having to run interferance, as I so not want her to get hurt. The other day I had to take him to the hospital, he slammed his finger in the van door. At the hospital he con,tinually cried, called everyone very inappropiate words, hit me, kicked me, and kept yelling that he hated me. This is a normal day at my house. The hospital put on his chart that he is on the spectrum, and his doctor has made a referal to a neuropsychologist, but also informed me that the insurance could take a few months to appove this referal. I love my little boy unconditionally, and his sister loves him too, but I'm about at my wits end. I have tried many times to explain to him that he is hurting his sister, even tried hitting him back to show him that it hurts, but he just walks away laughing, please if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear from you.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Help, my son hits, kicks, and spits all the time

To have your son evaluated quicker , you can go through your local Regional Center. They will assign him a case manager, and will evaluate him free of cost. When I had my son evaluated, the regional center had neuropsycholgist do it too. It was very detailed and specific . The Dr. first talked to me, and then evalusted my son, and then talked to me again afterwards.
My son has autism, with cognitive delays, and he did test high for having ODD. opistional defiant disorder> Is your son verbal? He sounds like he get very angry quickly , kind of explosive. I would also suggest a child psychatrist , because he may needs medication to calm him down and not be so violent. He is 5, so does he go to kindergarten? How is he at school? Do you have the school calling you? If he is not in school yet, then now is the perfect time to have him evaluated.
Lots of kids get really scared when they get hurt, and react angrily . Because they are frightend. But his behaviors have to improve because when he gets into school that is not going to be tolerated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Depending on where you live, your local school district may be able to do an evaluation even if he's not in school. You might want to check that out

Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
(female)

mamalori HB User

Went to the,school to sign my son up for kindergarden in the fall. Discussed some of his problems with them, and their response was we will see how he is once he starts. If I cannot get him any help for him before that..1. Soons I try to leave him, he will have a major meltdown, anything in reach will go flying across the room, 2. anyone who trys to control him will get hitted, kicked, and more than likely spit at.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Since you have made them aware of his issues, let them deal with it in the fall. Be sure to document who you spoke with at the school and make sure the principal is aware. Make it known that you don't expect to be called to pick him up for misbehavior because you have requested their help with an evaluation. Mention IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) Part B. This covers your son. If he exhibits the behavior you describe, they will be testing him very quickly.

I wish you well and keep us informed.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I am surprised that school would not do an evaluation on him before ebtering a regular classroom. The school district has and does evaluate children. Call your local school district, not the school. They should set up an appointment for your child.
School districts can evaluate children from 3-5 years old and began early intervention. Their are special prechool programs for childen 3-5 , and special day classrooms for child who qualify .
When my son was evaluated by the school district they were not even sure it they could place him, due to his behaviors. But they did find a program that was right for his needs.
I am not too keen on school evaluations though, but it is a start. Their are far more qualified professionals out there, but in the meantime fo ahead and have him evaluated, then keep your appointment to see a child neuro, or a child Psych.

Closed Thread