It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User
Naive question about Imaginary Friend as adult?

I am an old guy diagnosed in late life to have AS. year 2000 so wish I had knew about it as teen or something because my whole life has been problematic.

Anyway back to my very naive question. As we all know some kids say 4 years old or so or maybe 5 or 6? some have a made up Imaginary Friend but when they feel more grown up say 7 them find it childish and stop telling others or the adults about them having it or them stop relating to the inner fantasy.

But adults have a kind of similar needs it seems and a lot of people are doing "Role Playing" and there them have not Imaginary Friends but them are Imaginary persons. Them are another persons.

Some do find it silly and it is not a very huge part of the population doing it and them seems kind of "special" in that they make costumes and assesoares and such, them seems to take it very serious.

Now I am not into playing such Role Play games. Too demanding but what do you think of this closeness or similarity with Imaginary Friend as adult.

Instead of being another person one pretend to talk to an Imaginary Friend even now as an old retired person.

Is that kind of beyond most persons to even consider. Could there be bad side effects? I get lost in make belief or something? Or get hooked on being in relation to an Imaginary Friend and not caring about real people?

I feel unsure what to think of it other than that it is very odd and silly and childish and kind of something to feel shamed of wanting to do?

Why I want to? I am so utterly alone that I long for somebody to talk to.
Yes it is very embarrassing I know. But I have tried since say 1986 or so to find a friend and totally failed. I am too alien. My AS is so low functional that most other AS don't want to befriend me at all. Them find me too different compared to them being highly functional.

So any ideas on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User
Re: Naive question about Imaginary Friend as adult?

Ooops this topic maybe are so embarrassing that none want to share in case one get teased or get looked down upon as silly or childish?

Maybe I lie to myself but think of "Authors" or fictional books.
Them practically live wither the imaginary characters in the books?

For years writing about them. So sure it is childish but not totally weird is it?

Maybe my poor English fools you into being too harsh on my take on it.

Closed Thread