It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User
Highly Functional AS relations to NT and to Low Functional persons?

Hi fellow AS. I was diagnosed very late in life which is very sad because had we known early then one could have had a better life.

Now as very new to AS culture I got very surprised that there was special words like Neuro Typical and that some AS but not every AS that I have met but many of the activists where I live in Sweden them looked down upon the NT. Yes they told me that openly.

Highly Functional Autists also tended to look down upon the Low Functional Autists.

Unfortunately I am more Low Functional than what I am High Functional.

I fail with most things in life. Have no friends and failed at job failed to get a family and failed getting along with neighbors and so on.

Failed to get along with other AS too.

May I ask how long has this term Neuro Typical existed as popular word combination? And the looking down on NT.

Has it always been like that or is it some trend that started one decade and then have gone on for say 2 decades or 3 or so and is there any chance that AS will tone down on the talking down on the NT and stop seeing them as inferior compared to High Functional AS persons?

Maybe it is my age. I am over 65 so I have a changed view on things compared with any AS being say 18 or so. But I felt so embarrassed over this condescending attitude that I did not want to identify with being AS.

I did not feel proud having that diagnose. As I get it many of the activists where I live them felt very proud of being High functional.

The fact that I am a low functional sure is not to be proud of at all.

Maybe this change with every generation. Was it something that exists say 10 years ago and now have ended?

Last edited by KneeProblemGuy; 06-07-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Bad spelling and grammar corrected

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Highly Functional AS relations to NT and to Low Functional persons?

Hi,
I am curious, What makes you a low functioning Asperger's ? To have a diagnoses of Asperger's the person already is functioning at a higher level then someone who has a diagnoses of straight autism. I have not seen anyone look down on lower functioning Asperger's or autism . With Autism , the lower functioning have a lot of more assistance and help becasue they need that. My son has autism, but I consider him as high functioning. But, he has cognitive delays. However he is verbal and not as much in his shell either. I thought that maybe he was more the Asperger's type. But,was told by a professional he was not because he had the speech delay's and cognitive delay. Not Asperger's traits. I think their are a lot of people who are past 60 yrs old never diagnosed because Asperger's is a realitive new term . It was not until the 90's did professionals recgonize the autism spectrum.
About the term NT. I have heard of this term a long time ago. However, only on the internet. Neurological Typical . It is used to descibe normally functional people. I do not think that it is used by professionals though.
Having a diagnoses of a autistic spectrum disorder is suppose to open up doors for intervention or services. The more lower functioning a person is the more available services there are out there. To me, it is only a label. Their are so many labels out there a person can get , so I really do not pay attention to this. A person is a individual first, not a label or a disorder.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

mscat40, yes formally I am diagnosed AS. I don't remember if them ever did mention high or low.

You ask me
What makes you a low functioning Asperger's ?

That is my own subjective assessment but it is also how my neighbor treat me as being. And everybody that Bullied me from Elementary School and at the Obligatory Military service we did even the Captain did Bully me and at work them Bullied me and so on. Everybody told me I was low achieving. And in practice them where right.

I tried a lot of things in life. Electronics, HiFi, Music, Chess, Writing, Art, Dance, Singing, Computers, Programming, Philosophy, Hypnosis, Meditation, and so on.

I totally failed at all of that. And worst of all, I tried to be a lover and failed at that too. I did not have the expected level of empathy either, and I failed at social competence.

So I think it is very true that I am low achieving. Low functional on everything.

Haha the first thing that did happen to me here in the forum was one kind person telling me to stick to my own native language and not try out English because it was too difficult to get what I wrote. I don't disagree with that. I do have a confusing English. It is totally home brewed by listening to Voice of America and BBC and so on.

I am low functional compared to the high functional AS and them get aware of that real fast. As I get them they did not want low functional to be active in their networks.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

the speech delay's and cognitive delay

Yes I think I have these too. Some tease me that it takes so long time for me to respond that them ask if I don't pay attention to what them write in chats. I get severe headache when I try to be active in online chats. I am not that fast that I can respond in the time them expect.

I agree with you that ideally every person is a unique individual and should have their say in things but it is not so easy to get that when everybody compete to get the attention.

In a social setting the structure easily get into a hierarchical order and those more popular or more important or higher up in the order of command are the ones that get listen to.

I am low functional in that I usually end up last or next lowest in any hierarchy.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeRollatorGuy View Post
mscat40, yes formally I am diagnosed AS. I don't remember if them ever did mention high or low.

You ask me
What makes you a low functioning Asperger's ?

That is my own subjective assessment but it is also how my neighbor treat me as being. And everybody that Bullied me from Elementary School and at the Obligatory Military service we did even the Captain did Bully me and at work them Bullied me and so on. Everybody told me I was low achieving. And in practice them where right.

I tried a lot of things in life. Electronics, HiFi, Music, Chess, Writing, Art, Dance, Singing, Computers, Programming, Philosophy, Hypnosis, Meditation, and so on.

I totally failed at all of that. And worst of all, I tried to be a lover and failed at that too. I did not have the expected level of empathy either, and I failed at social competence.

So I think it is very true that I am low achieving. Low functional on everything.

Haha the first thing that did happen to me here in the forum was one kind person telling me to stick to my own native language and not try out English because it was too difficult to get what I wrote. I don't disagree with that. I do have a confusing English. It is totally home brewed by listening to Voice of America and BBC and so on.

I am low functional compared to the high functional AS and them get aware of that real fast. As I get them they did not want low functional to be active in their networks.
I think your english is really good ! I would not of know that English was yuor second language if you did not write about it. I really understand about bullies.I went through that as a child, and my son did too. It was so painful to see my son bullied. We were new to a small community and none of the kids accepted him. All he wanted was friendship. I did see that the home school was very cruel to my son, so I got him out of there. He had to go to a school out of town though, but he was not bullied anymore. He had to go to a program for children with severe disabilites. He really thrived in that program. It still hurts to think about those kids being so cruel. I saw it first hand . I really do not know why kids are so mean. They seem to have picked up on my son being a little different, so they figured it was ok to be as mean as they could. Well my son grew and he got big. Now, if one of those kids see him, they do not dare to say anything bad to him anymore. Because he is so big now, they figure that my son could kick their behind. Funny how things work out! I raised my kid on my own for nearly 18 yrs. I still feel like I have to protect him from the outside world. LIfe is not easy when your precieved as different and do not fit into society's mold.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

Thanks, yes Bullying is horrible if one are at receiving end of the chase.

One feel rather helpless having no resources to stop it and if one try it only get worse. More research of the mechanism for it is needed.

I found a term that I trust could explain it. "reciprocal altruistic punishment"

Scientists try to explain how cooperation are sensitive to "freeriders" that don't contribute but still use what the cooperators contribute so the freeriders are seen as freeloaders or looters or deceptive action to get without giving in return so to stop the freerider them altruistically for the groups sake punish the freerider.

Now Bullying can be the flip side of something needed for groups to have coherence. When a member of a group abuse this altruistic punishment to target somebody that is not a real freerider but someone like your son or like me then the good side turn bad because the measure is not in proportion to the "crime". Neither your son nor I did something that bad as the Bullying could be justified for so them abused a mechanism that groups have to protect themselves from freeriding.

But more research is needed. But such is very costly so it takes time.

Closed Thread