It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
(male)

Boy Next Door HB User
Re: Asperger's and talking to yourself

Hi Brightonuk,
Martin Short said he used to act out scenes constantly when alone in his room. I bet a lot of famous actors and writers also did that in their youth. I wouldn't ask him to stop. Maybe encourage him to act out the characters with others and maybe get involved in organized theater or something like that. I would also encourage getting started on writing that book. I would also stress the value of using one's imagination without verbalizing everything. Imagination actually works better without talking - it's a richer and deeper experience when you can just be quiet and let your imagination sweep you away to another world. I hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
(female)

AnjyR HB User
Re: Asperger's and talking to yourself

I've been doing that all my life (almost 50 years) and am still doing it today. When I was at college I lived in a dormitory and I used to talk loudly to myself or my imaginary friends. I later learned that people were commenting on my way of talking to my friends and thought it weird when they found out there was never anyone visiting my room, really.
I try not to do it in public but mostly fail. I don't do it when walking with somebody. A fellow-student once said "you think with your talking tools". I found Dr. Tony Attwood using just this figure of speech in one of his books about Asperger's :-).BTW - I loved what TinyTim says earlier. My husband doesn't "believe" in syndromes, either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
(female)

TracyH49 HB User
Smile Re: Asperger's and talking to yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightonuk View Post
Hi my 15 year old talkís to himself constantly he also acts out in front of the mirror, he says he is acting out the characters in his book (that he has been talking about writing for over a year)
I also think it is from a certain Xbox game he plays.

My question is should I tell him to stop talking to himself?
I fear it could or is continuing at school, where he is accepted and seems to be well liked, but as any parent I do not want his behavior to cause him grief as it only takes one ignorant comment to affect him.

Is me telling him to stop or asking him who is he talking to going to negatively affect him
Hi, your son sounds exactly like mine, he talks to himself a lot, and is also "writing a book" which I think someone told him to do to express himself, he is an avid fan of war stories, and often tells me about them as though he was there! Sometimes when I have visitors, they would often hear him in another room talking to himself and playing a part in his Xbox games, they would often ask, "who is he talking to?" I would just say "oh he does that all the time" and they'd be fine with it.

Reply Reply