It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
(male)

Replicon HB User
Questions about aspergers and testing for it

Hello, all. I am hoping someone can answer some simple questions:

I'm 30, and I'm thinking of getting tested for asperger's.

I'm a bit skeptical about the testing process, though. It seems WAY too subjective. I hope it's a LOT better than those random internet quizzes you can take. It seems to me that "how you feel" when taking such a test can greatly affect the outcome.

Does the test do anything more objective? Is there something it can measure that is NOT filtered through the test subject's set of preconceptions? That is, if the test subject thinks he has asperger's, based on what he read, etc. will that bias affect the outcome of the test? Or is there something they can measure that is actually objective? I read somewhere that it's genetic, so like... can they just test for it?

Also, how do they walk the fine line of diagnosing "aspergers" vs. "regular lack of social skills" anyway? It seems the regular symptoms are well-aligned with someone who just hasn't socialized much and needs to learn it.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Questions about aspergers and testing for it

Their ar eother behaviors an examiner looks for besides lack of social skills. Their is little or no eye contact, stemming behaviors, obssessive thinking, getting "stuck" on one topic ,or only wanting to talk about a certain subject . Talking in a flat monotone voice , And any clumsiness. I think that since you are an adult the examiner may ask about your job and previous jobs, your education , friends and family. And what you like to do in your free time. It is also not uncommon for people with Aspergers to like to collect a certain favorite thing , and then talk about it as a obsession, and cannot switch the topic of interest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread