It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
(male)

paulnyc HB User
question(starting to wonder)

i had the social issues early in life eventually i learned to mimic behaviors to the tee. I couldn't deal with social environments which made me nervous because it interrupted my "acting", so to speak. Now I see people mentioning the photographic memory. how common is this in AS? I remember at 12 years old, from watching basketball (wasnt a huge fan either) , i knew every players height/weight/college they went to/statistics and then some. When I studied for tests, i seldomly had to read the info more than twice before I remembered it with clarity. sadly i think this allowed close ones to think i'm super bright not realizing the difference between remembering and understanding. I don't see anyone mentioning hyperlexia or hypergraphia...seems i've had both through out my life. has anyone noticed either one in the person whom they know with AS??

Also I did develop a sense of humor but the things i find funny are weird..its not like other people. One time when I was 18 i handed my friend a doggy treat and said it was a cookie when he bit off a piece..i bursted out in laughter. not even sure if this is a real sense of humor or some sort of weirdness ive developed and my laughing is solely based on my personality and knowledge. its either real weird or has to be something i can relate to.

Relationship wise--ive come to notice iam horribly narcissistic...if im not comfortable with continously talking about myself more often than not i end up straying from the person. it seems like this is also something AS people develop?

imagine having a boyfriend who comes over..sits there talking about himself then goes to play with the computer completely forgetting about the sex.(despite my very high sex drive). sounds funny but yeah.

social cues...ive become so self-absorbed that i dont even pay attention so im not sure if im not 'interpreting' them or i just absolutely ignore them despite learning some.

ideas/ anyone relate ?

Last edited by paulnyc; 11-30-2011 at 12:26 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to paulnyc:
nannette81 (12-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
(male)

Silas1066 HB User
Re: question(starting to wonder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnyc View Post
i had the social issues early in life eventually i learned to mimic behaviors to the tee. I couldn't deal with social environments which made me nervous because it interrupted my "acting", so to speak. Now I see people mentioning the photographic memory. how common is this in AS? I remember at 12 years old, from watching basketball (wasnt a huge fan either) , i knew every players height/weight/college they went to/statistics and then some. When I studied for tests, i seldomly had to read the info more than twice before I remembered it with clarity. sadly i think this allowed close ones to think i'm super bright not realizing the difference between remembering and understanding. I don't see anyone mentioning hyperlexia or hypergraphia...seems i've had both through out my life. has anyone noticed either one in the person whom they know with AS??

Also I did develop a sense of humor but the things i find funny are weird..its not like other people. One time when I was 18 i handed my friend a doggy treat and said it was a cookie when he bit off a piece..i bursted out in laughter. not even sure if this is a real sense of humor or some sort of weirdness ive developed and my laughing is solely based on my personality and knowledge. its either real weird or has to be something i can relate to.

Relationship wise--ive come to notice iam horribly narcissistic...if im not comfortable with continously talking about myself more often than not i end up straying from the person. it seems like this is also something AS people develop?

imagine having a boyfriend who comes over..sits there talking about himself then goes to play with the computer completely forgetting about the sex.(despite my very high sex drive). sounds funny but yeah.

social cues...ive become so self-absorbed that i dont even pay attention so im not sure if im not 'interpreting' them or i just absolutely ignore them despite learning some.

ideas/ anyone relate ?
I have 2 children on the autism spectrum and one with Asperger's. There are also people with AS in my wife's family, and probably my own. I exhibit some traits as well, and had a very hard time when I was young.

Basically, what you describe is a lack of social interest and a problem with social interaction: a kind of anxiety and lack of empathy.

The good thing is, you are able to identify this. Does it mean AS? Maybe.

Other signs of AS include things like clumsiness in gross body movement (but not always), a preference for strict routines, fascination with "strange" stuff: for instance, I am a walking encyclopedia of sports statistics and historical data. My son has a fascination with taxonomy and biology. These very narrow interests are classic symptoms of AS.

You may want to see a psychologist in order to have some testing done A comprehensive evaluation will tell you if you have AS.

If that is the case, you can join support groups and start reading up about the condition. Even if you have AS, it sounds mild, and I think you can certainly overcome any issues you might have.

Closed Thread