It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
(female)

lynch HB User
Aspergers syndrome and school

My son joseph is 5 years old and i was told at the age of three he may have autism. He shows all the signs of aspergers but after a bit of a rocky start to school in has settled down and doesnt show any signs of it whilst he is at school. Then as soon as he comes out its back Has anyone got any opinions

Old 08-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
(male)

GinjNinj HB User
Re: Aspergers syndrome and school

I have AS, and though I'm much older than your son, I also tend to hide it during school and act almost normal, but then the behaviour all comes rushing back at home, even exaggerated as you can't suppress who you are forever (sorry for the cliche), as I'm confident my parents will understand why I'm acting this way. This is all subconcious of course, so although your son may not be able to put it into words, he may be the same.

Hope I helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Suisse85 HB UserSuisse85 HB User
Re: Aspergers syndrome and school

Absolutely. They manage well at school and fall apart at home. Eventually, they don't manage as well at school, because kids pick up "oddness".

One piece of adivce I learned too late: try to get family therapy ASAP. It helps anyone else in the family express how they feel, and establishes who is doing what. In my case I think I was doing the lion's share of dealing with schools and homework. It is hard for others to appreciate later. Do yourself a favor, and help them appreciate it now.

Disabilities are not easy for anyone, including siblings. they are also hard on marriages.

Reply Reply