It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

payndout HB User
17 yr old son with AS

My son is 17 and has Asperger's Autism. Wow, this message board has opened up my eyes so much!! I have been reading many stories and just keep nodding my head and agreeing with so much that others have posted. My son talks to himself all the time!! We get so discouraged with him, because we know how cruel the other kids can be, and so we try to tell him to not do it at school. We didn't realize that it was part of his AS. He also lies a lot! Even if it is something really small that he wouldn't get into trouble for, he will lie about it. And we have only found one thing though that he is totally obsessed with...and that is video games. When he was a bit younger, he would play them so obsessively that he wouldn't eat or want to get up to go to the bathroom. And we dealt with it for years and worked with him to the point that we limited his time on the games, and reminded him alot to get up and use the bathroom. Well this all worked on and off for quite a while. But the last straw was when he went into his grandmother's room and stole her gameboy. So we took the games away from him indefinitely. Our son's speech is a bit different. He cuts off his words and seems to almost have a 5 year old language at other times. Then there is sometimes that he seems so "normal". But his safety skills are very bad, and he gets tunnel vision so easily. For him to stay on task takes tons and tons of reminders. He is very smart. When he applies himself at school he gets A's. But he has a parapro that goes to half of his classes with him to help him stay on task and remind him of things. He wants to go to college, but we are concerned that he wouldn't make it, because for years he has had a parapro to help him stay on task and do his work. Well he wouldn't have that in college. He had one girlfriend that he had for a while, she was very odd. We think she may have had AS too, but she has never been diagnosed with it. But her parents never really taught her manners, so she was so rude and really hard to handle. She drove my husband and I crazy. But our son decided to break up with her because she lived quite a ways away, and he hardly ever seen her, and she rarely called him. Well anyway, our son is a good kid, but we are so nervous about his future. We are so unsure of so many things, like his driver's license, or ever being able to live out on his own. Because he has to be reminded of so many things. Everyday things that most people take for granted. like showering, brushing teeth, taking medication (well not that one so much I guess), brushing his hair. All of those things we have to tell him to do everyday. I guess I have written enough for now. Thanks for listening.

The Following User Says Thank You to payndout For This Useful Post:
kruse (05-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread