It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

lilmare65 HB User
Talking 15yr old son with adhd and aspergers

My son has adhd and i am in the process of getting him evaluated for aspergers. The reason im just getting it now is because a lot of the symptoms of adhd overlap with or are the same as aspergers but now some of the more aspie symptoms are more apparent. Some of these include not reading social cues and thinking everyone is his friend. He is generally a happy kid and likes school. He goes to karate and is a brown belt. Ive always been aware of some of the things he does but now the social worker is pointing them out because i am in the process of trying to get him a 504 plan so that when he takes his sat's for college next year he can get extra time. My son is in reg classes in high school. He is my only son and he is content to still be with us, his mom and dad. He is happy and never says that he wishes he was out with friends, although i think it would be nice if he had at least one good friend to talk to. Right now in school he gets extra time on test but im wondering once he is officially diagnosed is there other things that he should receive? Also i have told him that i think he has it so that we can work on things that come up but i do want to be careful and not point everything out because as i mentioned before he is a happy and he is an affectionet kid and i want him to stay that way!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User
Re: 15yr old son with adhd and aspergers

Hi there

Well, I'm not a parent, in fact, I'm still only a highschool student. But I also have had ADHD since I was 10, and I thought I could explain some of the benefits I get in school as a result of it. I'm also a martial artist so I have that experience too. Karate is one of the best ways to treat ADHD without meds, so its great that he is in it!

Anyway, my problem is my lack of focus, I also require additional time when I take tests. For example, on the ACT, I was able to get additional time with no extra charge because of my ADHD, so he shouldn't be denied that. Also, throughout my entire highschool career, I've been able to get additional time on most of my tests in general, along with extra after school help. I attend a public school, and here we have some sort of requirement to allow specific accommodations for students like me who need it.

Not sure how much help it is, but he should be able to get extra help in school/extra time for tests if he needs it. I would assume that there would be similar circumstances should he get the diagnosis of Aspergers too.

In regards to the social issues, it doesn't sound too serious. However, if things progress, I'd suggest considering a psychiatrist of some sorts if you'd be okay with that. I've never needed one personally, but I've known people with ADHD who've seen progress as a result.

I know ADHD can be difficult to handle, but with the right accommodations, its very livable. Just be sure to continue to stand by his side when he needs it!

Last edited by ArcticWolf; 06-04-2012 at 05:48 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArcticWolf For This Useful Post:
lilmare65 (06-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread