It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

sadiekay HB User
Undiagnosed Aspbergers in my mother?

My mother has been odd my whole life, but in the past 5 years or so I have begun to think that there is actually something different about her brain - that she'd not just an odd person.

She is extremely withdrawn socially - she has no close friends, is not married, and when she is placed in social situations she is quite awkward, discusses issues that people are uncomfortable with, and is quite passive aggressive. I used to think she was just depressed or angry, but I've casually mentioned some situations to her and she seems genuinely shocked that she comes across as rude.

She also repeats things several times within a few minutes. I used to think it was memory loss but it is more like she is fixated on an issue and she cannot concentrate on anything else until the issue is resolved. She also has difficulty with some processing and some language - for example, she continually pronounces words as they are spelled (like "salmon" and "quesadilla"), even though she is corrected each time she says them, next time she hears the correct pronunciated she acts like it's the first time she heard it. There also seems to be slow processing at some times. For example, at my birthday dinner a few years ago, someone said "Happy 26th Birthday!" to me and she said "What? I thought you were 25." When she saw that in fact I was 26, she said a few times over and over "26, ok. Ok, 26" and nodded her head. Or if I say something like "I am going to the doctor on Monday" she will repeat the statement back to me several times ("So you said you're going to the doctor on Monday?" "Doctor on Monday right, do I have it?"

For those that know about Aspberger's, do these symptoms sound like Aspberger's? If not, any ideas on what this could be? Also, how can I approach her about getting help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
(female)

Puppylove86 HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Aspbergers in my mother?

What would make you think it's Aspergers?

You didn't say ow old she is, but you might consider early onset Alzheimer's. I'm not a doctor, but she sounds a lot like my dad's wife early on.

Good luck!

Reply Reply