It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

SiberianLover HB User
Unhappy Help! What if inhaler doesn't help?

Hi. I have allergy induced asthma and am very allergic to cats. I'm on Advair, Singulair and take two allergy shots once a week. However, I am a dog groomer and today I had to help with two cats. I had an asthma attack so bad I thought I would have to go to the hospital.

My chest hurt, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. My neck hurt and my sides hurt from trying to breathe. I could only get short breaths, and I coughed every time I tried to breathe. I used my albuterol inhaler several times, but I can take a deep breath with it, and then I cough the medication out.

So if my rescue inhaler doesn't work for me, is there anything else? And when is it right to go to the hospital? I was very scared today...I haven't had an attack this bad in a long time...the last time was before I was on all of my medications and was diagnosed.

Karina

Old 11-13-2003, 08:19 PM   #2

Glowy HB User
First of all, I don't think that you should be grooming cats! I have asthma to and I am REALLY allergic to dogs-opposite of you! The last time I had an attack was when I was around a Golden Retriever. I went to the hospital before it got really bad. It sounds like your attack was severe and you probably should have gone straight to the hospital. I don't know of anything other than the ventolin that can help an attack immediatly. Try and relax when you feel one coming on and exhale completely and then inhale. I learnt this a loooong time ago when I was first diagnosed. If you feel your chest starting to get tight, try and relax and take very deep breath making sure that you completely empty your lungs before you inhale again. I have tried this when I feel my asthma getting worse and it has worked for me. Good luck and remember to go to the hospital as soon as you feel an attack coming on and your inhaler isn't helping. Take Care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

SiberianLover HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowy
First of all, I don't think that you should be grooming cats! I have asthma to and I am REALLY allergic to dogs-opposite of you! The last time I had an attack was when I was around a Golden Retriever. I went to the hospital before it got really bad. It sounds like your attack was severe and you probably should have gone straight to the hospital. I don't know of anything other than the ventolin that can help an attack immediatly. Try and relax when you feel one coming on and exhale completely and then inhale. I learnt this a loooong time ago when I was first diagnosed. If you feel your chest starting to get tight, try and relax and take very deep breath making sure that you completely empty your lungs before you inhale again. I have tried this when I feel my asthma getting worse and it has worked for me. Good luck and remember to go to the hospital as soon as you feel an attack coming on and your inhaler isn't helping. Take Care!

Thanks for your quick response!
Well, I don't groom cats...I usually stick with dogs. I only helped out with the cats today because one of my appointments didn't show up, and then the second cat was a biter and very bad on the table and the girl needed help. After today, they won't let me touch the cats at all.

Now...is ventolin the same thing as my albuterol inhaler? Even when I try to relax, I just cough the medication out when I inhale it. Granted, I've only been diagnosed for a few months, so maybe I need more practice with the inhaler...

So you think I should have gone to the hospital? I just sat outside coughing and gagging with my chest on fire for about a half hour. I was still getting SOME air in..just not very much. I don't know when the right time to say, "Okay, it's not working....time to go in" is. I don't know if I should ask my doctor to up my Advair dosage or what I should do.

KM

Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User
I think you should at least tell your doctor about this attack. If you have that much trouble with your inhaler when you have an attack like this then you should consider getting a nebulizer, which can be used with a mask so you don't have to worry about breathing it in or out or coordinating your breath. If your inhaler doesn't work, you should have gone to the ER. They could have better treated the problem. This is not good that your inhaler did not work. The next time, I would head in to the ER.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:16 AM   #5

Jac HB User
Hey There,
You had a scary Experience!
I would definatley tell your doctor....they need to get your asthma under control and then get you on a plan. The doctor should be able to tell you how many puffs to take of your medication, and if that isn't helping to head to hospital. (not to say you can't take more...if your struggling do...but get to the ER at the same time).

Good luck with it. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:19 AM   #6

Billy33 HB User
Triggers

I don't condone animal abuse but if you insist on going around cats then your just abusing yourself.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Karina--

I'll answer both your questions with one statement.

If your rescue inhaler isn't helping, GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

They have other drugs there that can help you and the ability to monitor you better and intervene if necessary.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #8
(female)

SiberianLover HB User
First of all, I didn't have asthma until this past summer. I don't work with the cats normally. They are usually away from me, and I rarely have a problem. These two cats were short haired, so I really didn't think they would affect me the way that they did, and I had helped with them voluntarily. My mistake..won't happen again. I finally, after many years, found a job I love, and I don't want to have to give it up. I wouldn't harm myself on purpose, and I avoid cats at all cost. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being able to quit my job and still be able pay my bills. Not to mention that I love my job, and this is the first asthma attack I have had since I was diagnosed.

Advair..I'm on the lowest dosage, so I can see about upping that. Anyone know if it is harmful to take it twice a day without waiting 12 hours?

The inhaler...I know you are supposed to hold it in, but when I'm having an asthma attack and I try to take a deep breath, I not only cannot, but I cough trying. So if I try to inhale deeply while using my albuterol, I end up coughing, and cannot hold it in.

Since I get weekly shots, I'm going to ask my allergist next week about upping my Advair, and I have an appointment with my regular doctor coming up soon anyway.

I think the worst part was today. My ribs ached so bad from how hard I was attempting to breath yesterday.

Thank you to everyone who responded....I don't really have anyone to talk to about it...people I know seem to blow off asthma and asthma attacks as if it were the same as having a slight cold. It's really great to be able to come to thie board for advice, and talk to people who have the same thing.

Karina

Old 11-14-2003, 07:56 PM   #9

Glowy HB User
Good luck at your Doctors appointments! I hope your ribs aren't hurting as much anymore. I think that's great that you have a job that you love! Dog grooming sounds like a wonderful job. I would love to do it but unfortunatly I am very allergic to most animals even though I love them so much! Take care and feel better!!

Old 11-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User
I hate it after an admission for my asthma people will be like, "where were you?" Of course I try to dodge blaring to the whole world that I was admitted for my asthma. Sometimes, I have to admit that I was in the hospital and they ask why and I say, "My asthma." Love it when people are like, "Oh yeah. I have that...I used to have to take this pump thing when I was sick with pneumonia when I was five." lol Gotta' love it. Once instead of, "My asthma" I responded with, "I have a lung disorder that robs me of more than 50% of my lung functions." That person was shocked, "Really? I'm so sorry! What is that disorder called???" My standard reply: "asthma." That kinda' threw her for a loop...

Old 11-15-2003, 02:22 PM   #11
(female)

Caraghk HB User
Thumbs up Get a powder inhalor?

With a powder inhalor, when u breathe the powder in it goes straight into your lungs, and you do not have to co-ordinate your breathing as much, maybe that would help?

Old 11-16-2003, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User
Hi
Have you tried using a spacer device? Its a sort of tube with a hole at one end for your inhalor and a mouth peice at the other, you don't have to breath in as deeply which should prevent you coughing out your meds and it allows more medication to enter your lungs. It might be worth asking your doctor about it.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #13
(female)

SiberianLover HB User
thanks everyone

I'll ask about the spacer, thanks.

And hotchic...I love the lung disorder explanation...lol. That's great...mind if I steal that?

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I just need to better understand my asthma. It's hard when you were normal for 26 years of your life, and then this.

KM

Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #14
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User
I don't mind you using the lung disorder explanation...it's hard to describe sometimes...lol Sure does throw them!

Old 11-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #15
(female)

SiberianLover HB User
Just to let you guys know,

I went to my doctor, and they gave me one of those epinephrine Epi Pens in case I have another attack like this last one, and told me that I should go to the hospital so I can a breathing treatment regardless of whether I think I will be fine in a bit, because of the damage an asthma attack like that can do to your lungs.

So...hopefully it won't happen again, since I'm not going to be around cats. Ha ha..I typed cars on accident..imagine that. Allergic to cars.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help and support. I'm glad I found this board. Just reading the posts has helped me understand asthma a lot better.

KM

Closed Thread