It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2003, 07:49 PM   #1

jmaul007 HB User
Coughing after Treatments

My 5 yo has asthma and of course it worsens in the Winter. We are on the nebulizer now about 4 times/day. We use either Xopenex or Albuterol. I prefer the Xopenex. It seems as though after the treatments her coughing gets excessively worse. She isn't coughing much until I give her the treatments and it is almost uncontrollable for about 2 hours. We have to continue the treaments because she is still wheezing. Does this happen to anyone else? Or does anyone have adny advice? I thought the treatments were supposed to help with the coughing?????

Old 12-31-2003, 01:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Coughing after Treatments

Hi,

Is your daughter on a corticosteroid also to help lessen the inflammation in her lungs? or is she taking the the Xopenex before the preventative med?

Does she have a cold at this time? That could also be why she's coughing more....would a med like singulair be a possibility in assisting her?

I'm also wondering if she is sensitive to the propellant (I don't know about how Xopenex is administered)? Bricnal (sp?) is administered without a propellent, as well as Pulmicort corticosteroid. I use the Pulmicort and haven't had any problems with coughing. I also use Berotec rescue inhaler with no problems (it has a propellent, tho).

I hope you're able to get it resolved quickly, I'm sure she is feeling distressed to the point where she doesn't want to take them.

Let us know how it works out......I'm sure you'll get good suggestions from the other members who have a better knowledge of what's out there med-wise.

Best to you both,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 05:56 AM   #3

jmaul007 HB User

She does take Flowvent and the Dr. did mention Singulair too. We have not started the Singulair yet. She does get very distressed about these treatments. Yes, it is when she has a cold but still the coughing shouldn't be so bad. She does this with both the Albuterol and Xopnex. We almost hate to give her the treatments because of the coughing. I have mentioned it to the Dr. and they think it is crazy too. I am at my wits end. I will say that doing the physio on her back afterwards helps but only until I stop. It also gets a little better as the cold gets better. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:42 AM   #4

hotchic085 HB User

It could be that your daughter has a lot of mucous and the treatments of Xopenex and Albuterol loosen that up and make her cough. Has she been tested for cystic fibrosis? Also, run by your doctors the idea of atrovent, which is somed times used to loosen these secretions up. Another good idea would be an acapella, which is a device that helps break up the gunk without you doing the physio all the time.

Old 12-31-2003, 01:35 PM   #5

jmaul007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchic085
It could be that your daughter has a lot of mucous and the treatments of Xopenex and Albuterol loosen that up and make her cough. Has she been tested for cystic fibrosis? Also, run by your doctors the idea of atrovent, which is somed times used to loosen these secretions up. Another good idea would be an acapella, which is a device that helps break up the gunk without you doing the physio all the time.

I think you might me right about all the mucous needing to come up. No, she hasn't been tested but in all reality I just think it is Reactive Airway Disease because she only gets like this in the fall & winter. They have classified it as Asthma because when she was 2 she wheezed more than 3 times in 3 months or something of the sort (that's according to her Dr.) She doesn't even see a Pulmonologist. She is actually fine during the Summer and Spring, it's the fall and winter that Kill us. Oh, and I will ask about the Atrovent. Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-31-2003, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

The Xopenex is supposed to be better about the coughing than the albuterol.

I almost wonder if a puffer and a spacer with albuterol would be better than the jet compressor because it doesn't last as long.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

It might be a good idea to get your daughter reffered to pulmologist. Mine is great, and comes up with ideas that my GP doesn't think of. There might be treatment out there that could solve your problems. No ideas I'm afraid, other than what the others have suggested, but it might be worth looking into.
Good luck
x x x

Old 01-03-2004, 05:42 AM   #8

jmaul007 HB User
Smile Re: Coughing after Treatments

Thanks for everyones input. We are now off the treatments for 48 hrs. now. I did call the Dr. AGAIN and the Nurse reassured me they expect the cough to get worse before it gets better. She said to just make sure I give those treaments every 4 hours around the clock and her cough would be better in 48 hours. Guess what??? She was right and here we are, off the Xopenex (for now anyway)but still on Flowvent. Thanks for everybody's help. Oh, by the way, does anyone prefer Singulair over Zyrtec???

Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #9

hotchic085 HB User

Singulair and zyrtec are two totally different medications. Zyrtec is a type of antihistimine whereas singulair is an antilukotreine medication. Singulair only works for about half the people with asthma. It has also been found to work for people with allergies. For kids, it's great to try because the side effects are usually non-existant and it's a once-a-day pill

Old 01-04-2004, 05:03 AM   #10

jmaul007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchic085
Singulair and zyrtec are two totally different medications. Zyrtec is a type of antihistimine whereas singulair is an antilukotreine medication. Singulair only works for about half the people with asthma. It has also been found to work for people with allergies. For kids, it's great to try because the side effects are usually non-existant and it's a once-a-day pill
Thanks for the info!! I will keep that in mind. I think I am going to go with Singulair!!

Old 01-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

Hi
I take both. Good luck, I hope your daughter is well again soon. I'm glad she is feeling better now.
x x x

Old 01-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

singulair is available as a chewable which some people find very convenient.

Allow me to point out that it'd be a good idea to keep the xopenex on hand as a rescue med even if the ultimate goal is to never use it.

Closed Thread