It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 10:49 AM   #1

Asenath HB User
Advair & the immune system

I was reading on another message board that the steroid in Advair can inhibit the immune system. Is this true?

the reason I ask, is that I developed asthmatic symptoms after getting an upper respatory tract infection, so my doctor put my Advair 250/50 twice a day. However, I was also having sinus/ear problems, which caused dizziness, nasal congestion, and a very stuffy head. Most likely some form of virus.

So now the asthmatic symptoms are totally under control, but my head has been bothering me for a month! It's like I can't get 100% better.

Has anyone else seen this? Is the Advair a problem here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 12:39 PM   #2

hotchic085 HB User
Re: Advair & the immune system

I doubt that the Advair is the problem. Any type of steroid, whether topical or systemic can throw off your immune system. The steroid in Advair, though is inhaled, which means that very, very minute amounts get into your blood. Most of it goes straight to the airways. The worry about lowered immune system and steroids is mainly geared toward systemic steroids (oral and injected), though Advair CAN affect your immune system. If you're really worried about it, talk to your doctor.

Have you considered allergies? Sinusitis? This are all things to run by your doctor. I would also recommend nasal irrigation to get all of that gunk out.

All in all, if you are worried, talk with your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Asenath: It's true. Technically. Okay, at the cellular level. To the most minor of minor minor degrees.

In real life?

Not on any widespread level. It can make it easier to get a yeast infection in your mouth (just because the powder sits concentrated in there, that's why you're supposed to rinse, it spreads out in your lungs) but that's really it. No you should not worry about it.

If you've been having problems with your head for a month, it is actually very possibly NOT a virus, and you should see a doctoro about that.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #4

PinkBanana HB User

In the packet that comes with Advair, it says that 25% of patients will experience bronchitis. Thats a pretty high number i'd say!
Since I've been on Advair(started in May of 2003), I've had bronchitis three times and pneumonia once...more than I've ever had in my lifetime up until now!! So I think there is some connection..!!

Closed Thread