It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2001, 06:48 AM   #1

Faith004 HB User
Unhappy Difficulty breathing in hot weather,,,

Hello. I too have asthma. I use Flovent and Atrovent. What I have "real" trouble with is when it gets very hot and the air is so thick it feels like I have a bag over my head. Even my medicines only help so much then. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this problem, and what do you do for relief. I know staying inside helps, but we can't always be indoors. I had a bad bout with pneumonia and since then my breathing has suffered for it. Anyway, any suggestions will be most appreciated. Thank You.

Old 06-15-2001, 08:15 AM   #2

ms freckles HB User
Faith, sweetie hot weather is just sometimes we can't do anything about. I have had asthma now for about 10 years and I am in the hospital at least once a year with pneumonia. Air condioners are our friends!!!
At night when my lungs fill up I will sit up and sleep on my recliner sofa. I love when winter comes along so I can breathe. This weekend is hot and steamy so I know I am in for it. Take care and stay on your med's and stay inside.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2001, 12:47 PM   #3

kdoubleu HB User
I find humid weather any time of the year bothers my asthma. Sometimes some Vicks on my chest at night (along with my prescription meds) give some extra relief.

Old 07-08-2001, 09:16 AM   #4

Mbeast HB User
Talking

HI Folks,
I live in Los Angeles. This past week has been real hell. We are normaly realllly dry but we've been getting the AZ monsoon storms. like 75% humidty. Been killing me. But you know what I do and it realllly seems to help. I have a fan going 24/7. Not sure if it's just in my mind but it helps me breath. shrug. I even have a fan going in the winter. I have a real aversion to not having a fan going all the time.

Old 07-14-2001, 04:46 AM   #5

Sam04 HB User
I too have troubles in the summer, i find also the best bet is a fan or A/C..if you need to be up right at night. check with medical supply company there is a special form that you put under your pillow or mattress and it will keep your head raised, i've had one now for 4 mths and find that it helps alot at night,(stopped me from sleeping in a chair)

Old 07-28-2001, 10:53 PM   #6

Caring HB User
Humidity is the worst. I was using my inhalers at least 10 times a day for asthma attacks for a few of those really humid days. You should carry a paper fan, like one of those compact kind that wraps into a small rectangle or something.

Recently, fanning myself with a brochure helped me when I got into a little lift car that was poorly ventilated and there was not enough air flow.

Just an idea. It helps.
Take Care now.
Sincerely,
Caring

Old 07-29-2001, 12:53 PM   #7
Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
I don't have asthma, but I do have lung problems and am on ihaler; servent, pulmacort(and aburtotal when needed) and I also have a hard time in hot humid weather but also when it gets really cold out-does others have the same problem?
God Bless.

Old 07-30-2001, 08:24 AM   #8

Faith004 HB User
Hello Cutenbrat: Oh yes cold weather is difficult for me also. I have to cover my mouth to warm the air when I breathe sometimes. Living here where it can get very cold in the winter certainly causes me some problems at times. Good-luck to you and all who have kindly responded to my original post.

Old 08-01-2001, 04:24 PM   #9
(female)

BBuzz HB User
yeppers, Hot weather is hard on me too. I have to sleep with the ceiling fan all the time. Even in the winter. The air has to be moving. My eyes sure pay for it. Now I sleep with a sock filled with rice over my eyes to keep them from drying out. And for an added touch at times I warm the sock in the mircoware for 30 seconds. Oh heaven that is on the eyes. At least something can feel good when I have a hard time breathing. A/C is my friend. I managed to get hold of a couple of old ones that friends were throwing away. I only use them when I am in the room, have to save money. I don't need them to cool the place just to breath. Now if only I can get the cars a/c fixed.

Sincerely,
Buzz

Closed Thread