It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2001, 10:33 AM   #1

wgram HB User
Question Disability and ASTHMA

How hard is it to get on disability when you have asthma? I am having quite a bit of trouble. This recent asthma episode is really taking its toll. I can't even
shop or walk to my garden without having a
severe attack. I am so tired all of the time and can't even taste my food anymore..
HELP!!

Old 06-20-2001, 11:42 PM   #2

Sam04 HB User
Not sure on how easy it will be right now going through the process myself..i'm on so many meds right now i can't even go out. I have to be close to my machine at all times. Will let you know how things go..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2001, 09:24 AM   #3

wgram HB User
Thumbs up

Good luck, I know just how you must feel. I myself am having a great deal of lung pain and using a breathing machine for treatments.

I am so tired of trying to breathe ya know?

Old 07-14-2001, 06:24 PM   #4

rosalita100us HB User
i got disability for severe asthma. It took them almost a year to decide but I did get it

Old 07-16-2001, 02:21 PM   #5
(male)

YoungLife HB User
i just got diagnosed with asthma in March, i never had it before, reading other posts on here got me to thinking alot, im afraid of having another one of those attacks and ending up in the ER again. I dont have it that bad like others i read on here, but im worried it can get that way, is it possible to have asthma disablity in my condition?

Old 07-17-2001, 02:12 AM   #6

Sam04 HB User
Just got approved on a DB2 Disability through social services, but that is here in canada. Took about 4 wks to go through still in the process of CPP disability but they do say it takes a long time to get that, i have been hospitalized a couple of times and just got word from the Doc that I can't work anymore unless from home, a cold would not be a good thing for me. So have the fingers crossed that the CPP will go through..

Old 07-18-2001, 05:34 AM   #7

rosalita100us HB User
The key to getting disability for your asthma is to go to a pulmonologist and get a pft(breathing test) they require recent tests to prove your condtion is that bad. If you have bad asthma like I do your lung capacity is probably not too good. But having tests to prove your condtion is the key. They also will send you an emotions form to see how you are psychologically. Of course any chronic condtion makes a person depressed and you need to indicate that also in the forms you fill out. That also will work in your favor. I don't know any one person who has a very bad chronic condtion who dosen't suffer from some degree of depression. The form will ask questions like how often do you talk to freinds, go to church, go out exc.

Old 07-28-2001, 10:41 PM   #8

Caring HB User
I have been suffering with chronic, severe, coughing asthma, with multiple bouts of bronchitis and severe breathing sensitivities (caused by an acute chemical exposure). California state disability was great in helping me. My primary doctor took care of the paperwork and disability has been helping me for a few months now.

Since I've developed other conditions after applying, my disability was continued for me based on my new health problems. We still are finding new health problems every day from the chemical exposure I had.

But yes, my initial disability was based on a severe coughing asthma condition. I am sure if your condition makes it impossible for you to work at your current job, that this would warrant disability, at least until your condition improves.

Take Care now.
Sincerely,
Caring

Old 08-11-2001, 11:35 PM   #9

wheezingirl HB User
Hi, PPL
I'm in Australia and managed to get a Disability pension almost straight after my 16th b'day (thats when parents stop getting a health care card for children which allows all my meds to be $3.50 rather than the normal price) because otherwise my parents would have to pay $250 a month on meds and that is not counting the Dr's appts.
So do your best, surly if it is effecting your life alot they should help you by giving u dis

------------------
Edited by DJR

Closed Thread