It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2002, 11:36 PM   #1

sunn65 HB User
Exclamation Asthma side effect stomach ache/pain

I have sever asthma since 5 years old and now it's better even though it's with me for life.

We asthmatic could experience too much gas,gastric or stomach pain from pills which contain steroid. Doctor told me once that when we took pills or use spray,it's increassing our inhaling which means we suck in more air.... including sucking more air than we should into our stomach instead of our lungs.

I start to develop this sever gas, bloating stomach, can't digest food, vomit sometimes, and it's become routine nightly till eatting and going to bed become a pain instead of resting.

Now drink coffee helps asthma breathing, but for stomach ache coffee is a no no. How can we have both way working for us without contradicting and arise new disease or endless body mulfunction.

Can anyone tell me what to do to ease this comfort. Does anyone have this symtom?

Need HELP!!!!!!!

------------------
sunn65

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2002, 06:23 AM   #2
Inactive

momonline41 HB User
many many asthmatics have Gastric Reflux problem i forget the exact term , perhaps you should see another doc for that the one you have sounds like he is "sucking air ". Honestly how some people get Medical degrees is beyond me. We can and should demand that our asthma is controlled by meds - so that drinking coffee and other attempts at control that don't really work in my experience - although i'm drinking coffee right now

and no, inhaled steriods do not get sucked into the stomach nor does the air we breathe -

hope this helps

cyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2002, 10:38 PM   #3

sunn65 HB User
Unhappy

I think overall It cuased from my food allergy too.

Last night I decide NOT to eat solid food,so settled for Yogurt, and milk instead. I do allergy to them but moderately comparing to other food.

It's sad for me that NOT eatting is actually easing my stomach pain, cramp , bloating, burping. The easiest things like eatting is so hard for me to do.

I allergy to most of things from air, dust, pollen...etc..
I allergy to food nearly everything I got tested (around 60 test)....
I allergy to heat and my own sweat....

It's just hard to live normally when your body is constantly fighting itself as if it's a virus.

Thanks for your advice and I hope to get more advice may be not the med, but how to cope with my own body when it's fighting me all the time.

------------------
sunn65

Old 02-26-2002, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive

momonline41 HB User
yes you can live your life around avioding your triggers, and not eating what you like and largly putting a lot of effort into coping with your body -
you can aviod meds if you are willing to put up with at least some of the symptoms you are describing.
-you don't say allergies are your triggers but i'm guessing they are.

I have also done the no drugs just work around it approch - now i have an asthma med that i take and some allergy meds when i need them

- i would NEVER go back to the no meds/meds only when really needed approach just my opinion having done both. I feel as if my life has been returned me since i feel really good now and can use the energy/time i was putting into coping for other things like more time for my family and exercise for me.

I would really encourage you to have the possiblily of gastric reflux checked out , left untreated it can have permanent irreversable effects and i would not want that to happen to you.

good luck

Cyn

Old 02-27-2002, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
gastroesophageal reflux is not typically characterized by intestinal bloating, but rather from persistent heartburn and a feeling of bile in the throat.

I think it could be due to a food allergy (have an allergy to gluten or the possibility of lactose intolerance checked out to be sure.)

I find I can become very bloated in the stomach after a bad attack not necessarily because of the meds I am taking but because when you have an asthma attack you can easily panic and swallow air in an attempt to get a good breath. Perhaps this is contributing to your stomach bloating.

Old 02-27-2002, 08:06 PM   #6

sunn65 HB User
Smile

I'm glad to see advice and suggestion. Since it's not a disease, but somewhat body mulfunction, I try not to try to solve all problems with med and pills all the time.

I try to eat less and notice what stir up my symtom and it's just hard to do that because I basically allergy to nearly all the food range from mild rashes to server rash break out till I look like a sumatra tiger. For the past 5 years I develop more than rash and breathing problem for food allergy which started to effect my whole digestion from bloating to pain.

I would be glad to see more comments in here because going for med is my last choice. I was a walking drug stores for 32 years (I'm 37 years old). There is hardly any week of my 32 years without being sick from somethings. I have backache sometime already caused from kidney problems due to taken medication for 32 years.

I don't look like asthmatic but my body feel like it's ready to go the the JUNK YARD!

Closed Thread