It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #1

MichelleAmber HB User
Albuterol -Scared-Side effects

I was told by my doctor when I went in for a sinus infection that my lungs were only working at 62% So he gave me a perscription for an Albuterol Inhaler. I am supposed to take 2 puffs every 4-6 hours.

Whenever I take this medicine I start shaking (in my hands mostly) really bad and I have been sleepless, unless I take a tylenol pm to knok me out.

I was given this on Thursday so today is day 3. Is this supposed to go away?

I dont notice any difference in my breathing, its not getting better.

and should Albuterol be taken so regularly?

I am new to this and know nothing besides the stuff I have found on the web.

Im laying awake now with the tremors cause I just took another 2 puffs.

Someone's insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MichelleAmber; 02-29-2004 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 12:39 AM   #2

PinkBananaz HB User
Re: Albuterol -Scared-Side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAmber
I was told by my doctor when I went in for a sinus infection that my lungs were only working at 62% So he gave me a perscription for an Albuterol Inhaler. I am supposed to take 2 puffs every 4-6 hours.

Whenever I take this medicine I start shaking (in my hands mostly) really bad and I have been sleepless, unless I take a tylenol pm to knok me out.

I was given this on Thursday so today is day 3. Is this supposed to go away?

I dont notice any difference in my breathing, its not getting better.

and should Albuterol be taken so regularly?

I am new to this and know nothing besides the stuff I have found on the web.

Im laying awake now with the tremors cause I just took another 2 puffs.

Someone's insight would be greatly appreciated.
Ahh the dreaded effects of Albuterol. Don't be scared. Any kind of bronchodilator, esp Albuterol, will do that. Basically what happens when you take an inhaler without a spacer is the medication gets in your mouth, and in your bloodstream. The medicine is then spread into other parts of your body- other muscles & tries to relax them, which is exactly what the medication is doing to the smooth muscles around your airways. Hence causing the shaking. It's not dangerous at 2 puffs. It can be at say like a lot..i'm talking like 30, no prolly 40 or more..if you have arrthymia's or high blood pressure, there is a very small possibility of a heart attack. But from what i've read, there is a very small risk of that or any kind of overdose from Albuterol.
If you need to keep using the inhaler, you should ask about getting a spacer. It will make the medicine more effective as well as make you shake less.
I feel for ya..albuterol has caused me countless sleepless nights, I wish there was something I could tell you would make you sleep. But you said your taking tylenol pm..and thats prolly the only thing you can do if you need to sleep. Your body will just drop off at some point and sleep..so don't worry...but yea albuterol can be taken like that regularly, but not for the long term. Just to clear up an inflammation. I'm kind of surprised they didn't give you an anti inflammatory..you may want to ask if that would be more effect(like Flovent, Advair) temporarily, or if you do have asthma, as a treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
Inactive

jp3892 HB User

It actually can be taken long-term. I took 4-6 puffs a day regularly for 20 years whether I was feeling ok or not (most of the time I was feeling ok other than infections). The point is, I don't think it does too much harm when taken regularly. Are u only takinhg this for the infection or did the Dr tell u that u have mild asthma and should keep taking it for maintenance???

Old 02-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #4

PinkBananaz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3892
It actually can be taken long-term. I took 4-6 puffs a day regularly for 20 years whether I was feeling ok or not (most of the time I was feeling ok other than infections). The point is, I don't think it does too much harm when taken regularly. Are u only takinhg this for the infection or did the Dr tell u that u have mild asthma and should keep taking it for maintenance???
Actually, it can. I took it several times a day(about 5-15 puffs daily,depending on how much I needed it) for about 2 months and I had high blood pressure. It wasn't permanent, but i'm sure it isn't the best thing. Also when taken a lot for a while it can make you nauseaus and dizzy, and give you headaches. But i'm talking a lot..like I said I was taking 5-15 puffs a day for about 2months straight.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBananaz
Actually, it can. I took it several times a day(about 5-15 puffs daily,depending on how much I needed it) for about 2 months and I had high blood pressure. It wasn't permanent, but i'm sure it isn't the best thing. Also when taken a lot for a while it can make you nauseaus and dizzy, and give you headaches. But i'm talking a lot..like I said I was taking 5-15 puffs a day for about 2months straight.

For me, even short-term use caused some side effects. I went to the ER by ambulance and they gave me 6 nebulizers straight, after having about 6 puffs of albuterol with no effect. In the ambulance my heart rate was 140-150. When I got to the hospital later, it shot up to 210 a few times and went back to 140.

To the original poster, don't be afraid to take the albuterol every 4-6 hours. Two puffs isn't going to harm you. Some doctors regularly prescribe albuterol for bronchitis, and in your case, you probably have bronchosinusitis, which is infection in both the bronchi and the sinuses. You might have RAD, or reactive airways disease, which is common after an infection.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

mineemowse HB User

Like the others, have had my albuterol inhaler for about 10 years. Would only use it a few times a year and get the shakes really bad, sometimes heart would beat fast, etc. Got used to that as it was only a few times a year. Now that my asthma has decided to act up the last few months, have taken a nebulizer (with albuterol in it) and my albuterol inhaler along with my oral med and flovent. I find that I only get the shakes for a few minutes now, and I do use the spacer when I am at home. I find that that does make a difference. Don't be afraid, but do discuss your concerns with your dr.

Good Luck

Old 02-29-2004, 01:23 PM   #7

MichelleAmber HB User

Thank you everyone for your insight! I feel so much better about taking it now. My Doc gave me Antibiotics for the Sinus infection and Albuterol because he believed I may have some mild form of asthma. Not sure yet, cant test for it until the Infection is gone.

I was given the Albuterol and also a perscription for Flovent. But because I do not have Health insurance my Doctor wanted me to try the Albuterol first because it is cheaper and wait to get the Flovent filled. Also he said they may be getting Flovent samples in sometime this weekend so I wouldnt have to pay the hundred dollars for it. Im supposed to call tomorrow and update them.

Since I havent noticed any easier breathing from the Albuterol do you all think I should try the flovent?

Old 03-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
Inactive

jp3892 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBananaz
Well, obviously! I wasn't talking about overdosing on it regularly! I think the maximum daily intake for regular use is 4-6 puffs a day. This can only be exceeded in times of exacerbations etc but it shouldn't cause any harm even over many years if used like this (unlike corticosteroids!).

Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
(male)

FREAKIN'OUTMIKE HB User

Wow, I'm so glad I found this place. Okay here's my story. They put me in the hospital for Pneumonia. They put me on a IV, with 2 antibiotics and gave me a breathing treatment every four hours (Albuterol). I was really freaking out. It was like I was going nuts in there I swear. Sometimes I would cry. I would shake and sweat, I could not sleep, I felt like screaming. I really thought I was going nuts. My blood oxygen level slowly climbed from the 60's up above 90 and they let me go. I really felt like coming home was going to make me okay. It did'nt, I was a basket case here as well. It kind of stopped and I fell asleep for a couple of hours. Then I did a breathing treatment and Bam, right back to the shakes, sweats, feeling nuts.(That was yesterday)
I have not did any abuterol today period and still have this feeling ?
Any idea's? Can the allbutorol last a while, Is it the albuterol that is messing with me?
Thanks...Mike

Closed Thread