It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #1

wjlost HB User
getting off Symbicort / Advair...

Hi,
I've had light to moderate asthma for several years, and did not require serious treatment (besides using Ventolin several times a week) until this winter, which was much worse.

My doctor perscribed Symbicort 160/4.5 (budesonide/formoterol, similar to Advair). It had a dramatic effect on me, I'm feeling much better, and I'm also very energetic (I guess that's the anxiety side effect in my case).

I am wondering whether I will be able to stop taking this medicine after several weeks, or should I get used to taking something like this from now on?

Has anyone stopped using Symbicort or Advair, and returned to a non-steroid medicine after a while?

Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: getting off Symbicort / Advair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlost
Hi,
I've had light to moderate asthma for several years, and did not require serious treatment (besides using Ventolin several times a week) until this winter, which was much worse.

My doctor perscribed Symbicort 160/4.5 (budesonide/formoterol, similar to Advair). It had a dramatic effect on me, I'm feeling much better, and I'm also very energetic (I guess that's the anxiety side effect in my case).

I am wondering whether I will be able to stop taking this medicine after several weeks, or should I get used to taking something like this from now on?

Has anyone stopped using Symbicort or Advair, and returned to a non-steroid medicine after a while?

Thanks...
If you're feeling that much better from it, I think you should stay on it. It depends on how your lungs are though. Your doctor might decide to do some pulmonary function testing to see how you're doing on the Symbicort. But many people stay on Advair/Symbicort no matter how they're feeling. It may just have to be something you get used to taking. Think of it this way - would you rather feel good and have to take medication twice a day, or would you rather feel horrible and be taking your reliever medication much more than once or twice a day?

However, some people can taper down their dosage of Advair or other inhaled corticosteroids and still have their asthma under good control. Like I said before, it depends on your doctor and your pulmonary function.

Is it the steroid part that you're worried about? A lot of people are ... but the inhaled steroids in Symbicort and Advair are nothing like prednisone or other oral steroids. The Symbicort you're taking has a local effect on your bronchi and decreases their inflammation. A very small amount is absorbed into your bloodstream, whereas, systemic corticosteroids like prednisone are absorbed into the blood and have an effect on the whole body. If you're still looking for a non-steroid alternative, there is Singulair, that works mainly for allergic asthmatics. If you have allergies, Singulair would probably be a good alternative. You should ask your doctor about it.

Last edited by jerrie97; 02-29-2004 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 11:57 PM   #3

wjlost HB User

Hi,
Yes, it is the steroids I'm worried about, and my asthma does stem from allergies (mostly to dust and dust mites). I'm not sure Singulair is available here (I'm in Israel), I'll research it.
thanks for the response!

Old 03-01-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Inactive

jp3892 HB User

Swim fast is right. Symbicort is not a medication you are suppode to come off if u have asthma. It is a maintenance medication. Usually there are annual or twice a year checks to see if there has been an improvement and drs can slowly wean down the amount of steroids if possible.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlost
Hi,
Yes, it is the steroids I'm worried about, and my asthma does stem from allergies (mostly to dust and dust mites). I'm not sure Singulair is available here (I'm in Israel), I'll research it.
thanks for the response!
Maybe Accolate (zafirlukast) is available where you are? It does the same thing as Singulair, just with a different name.

Last edited by jerrie97; 03-01-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #6

cowgal HB User

Hi, all. Have used both Singulair and Accolate but had no where near the response I've had with the Advair. It's the only thing I'm using now and haven't had to use my rescue inhaler in about 2 months. Before the Advair I was using it a couple times daily. If something's working well and you have no side effects, why stop? cg

Closed Thread