It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #1

jazzlady60 HB User
Post advair and weight gain

Have any of you women using Advair experienced weight gain, fluid retention or difficulty losing weight since using advair. I started on 250 mg dose and then lowered to 100 mg but still notice the fluid in ankles and weight gain of about 12 lbs. Want to use medicine as it really does help my asthma and don't have a need for albuterol at all when I am on it but I am so frustrated with this weight issue. Just need some input.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:26 AM   #2
(female)

ammom1 HB User
Jazzlady,

I use Advair 250 and have been using it for around 6 weeks. I have not experienced any weight gain and, good gosh, I sure hope I don't. Is this a potential side effect of Advair or any other med you are using? I'd call the doctor on that one, 12 pounds is alot to gain (and then try to lose). Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2002, 12:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
edema is not a side-effect you should be putting up with. GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. It could mean something serious.

Old 09-05-2002, 09:18 AM   #4

peace1 HB User
Yes, weight gain on advair and always have swollen toes and fingers. I just recently was told this is what it is from, It never occurred to me. I am so upset now because I have a weight problem to begin with. Now I have another 10 pounds to lose. I am going to ask my doctor for an alternative drug. But I agree I did not have to use albuterol at all while on advair. But I prefer another drug if possible, this is not a good thing....I feel like a blimp..

Old 09-06-2002, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
this is not the fat-based weight gain typical of steroid use -- this sounds like fluid retention to me. You guys should look into what is causing this, some things that cause pedal edema are extremely serious.

Old 09-07-2002, 08:05 AM   #6

ladybug_85 HB User
High doses of Flovent can cause prednisone side-effects and for me a prednisone side-effect is swollen wrists,puffy fingers,as well as on high doses "moon face".Swelling like that is a steroid side-effect(and for anybody who says its not,I get off of prednisone it goes away).Fluid retention I believe is a listed side-effect of oral steroids and depending on how sensitive you are,Advair could cause that.Have you tried going off of it?
"The Impossible" Joe Nichols

Old 09-07-2002, 11:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
more things than just prednisone will cause pedal edema.

Things like congestive heart failure. Things like pulmonary edema.

Then again oral steroids (not advair or flovent) can also CAUSE congestive heart failure, so I suppose, indirectly, that you are right. I suppose, however, this makes it a good thing that she is not TAKING oral steroids, and is, rather, taking the 100/50 dose of advair, which is the lowest dose available.

Which means that side-effects typical of high-dose oral steroids seen in this patient would indicate a hypersensitivity to corticosteroids consistent with something akin to allergy and thusly she should NOT BE TAKING THIS DRUG.

I will again restate that if you are taking a tiny teeny dose of inhaled corticosteroid, please don't listen to those who've taken high dose oral corticosteroid trying to tell you that localized doses and generalized doses affect the body in the same way. Don't think that any dose of inhaled, localized corticosteroid will affect you the same way as a 'high' dose. It isn't a high dose. If it affects you in this way you should make a beeline for your doctor. EDEMA IS SERIOUS. It is also not listed as a side-effect for Advair. THIS MEANS YOU SHOULD MAKE A BEELINE FOR YOUR DOCTOR.

And Ladybug, the product monograph for prednisone (pregna-1,4-diene-3,11,20-trione, 17,21-dihydroxy) also lists pathological fracture of the long bones, peptic ulcer, increased ICP, menstrual irregularities, lack of body-stress response, cataracts, and glaucoma as possible side-effects, but I don't see you on other boards asking sufferers of these conditions if prednisone might be causing these side-effects. Reason is, of course, that they're not taking prednisone. Neither is jazzlady.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
(female)

june_gemini HB User
Re: advair and weight gain

I too have been on Advair 100/50 since 1999 and in that time my weight has gone up 38 pounds. I have also had to be on Prednisone a couple of times which also caused a part of the weight gain. My allergist insists that there is not enough steroid in the Advair to have an effect on my weight but I feel differently about that as the 1st time I was ever on prednisone I gained 20 pounds in the 2 weeks I was on it. Does anyone know a good way to take of steriod weight cause I'm at a loss.

Thanks, june_gemini:

Old 10-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #9
(female)

rcatbunn HB User

I have had severe asthma for 21 yrs. My new dr put me on advari a yr ago and for the 1st time in my life I've gone with out using my neb or my inhalers. I call it my "miracle drug" anyway, since I've been on it I have gained weight like I do when on prednisone. After researching I found that it can and does cause this in some people. It is an inhaled streiod and certain people are more sensitive to the steriod then others. I guess you have to weigh whether or not it's an issue for you to make you stop taking it. My advice, just put extra things into play to not gain weight (ie cut a few calories, excercise a bit more, drink a bit more fluids etc) Hope this helps!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
(female)

NuNu713 HB User

I had to discontine my Advair because it gave me a horrible skin rash all over my face, i dont know if i necessarily gained weight with it because I was taking it along side Prednison and we all know that causes weight gain!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
(female)

deb7213 HB User
Talking Re: advair and weight gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by june_gemini View Post
I too have been on Advair 100/50 since 1999 and in that time my weight has gone up 38 pounds. I have also had to be on Prednisone a couple of times which also caused a part of the weight gain. My allergist insists that there is not enough steroid in the Advair to have an effect on my weight but I feel differently about that as the 1st time I was ever on prednisone I gained 20 pounds in the 2 weeks I was on it. Does anyone know a good way to take of steriod weight cause I'm at a loss.

Thanks, june_gemini:
Hello my 12 yr old daughter has been taking Advair since 1999 and her weight has gone up ALOT !!!! Like I was saying she is 12 and her weight is 124 lbs and all around her mid-section and face she gets alot of exercise and I am a diabetic and try real hard to keep on a well balanced diet at all times and help my family do the same. I was just wondering if you did receive any feedback about what you posted about your weight gain?
Thanks so much,

Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
(female)

munasinghe HB User

After about 3 /12 years of having committed to a regular program of advair, I have gained 18-20 lbs. (Before becomming committed-- for about 1 year I was off and on -- and noticed no weight change.) I had been of a good weight before a committed program but afterwards friends and I noticed my legs and thighs become very muscular (I run and weight train) then by back became enlarged as did my mid body. I continued to exercise--every day--. Now I have some leg/knee/foot pain and wonder if the extra weight (and possiblyy extra push to keep the weight down) may be a contributor. My weight has leveled off but I can't lose a pound, no matter what I do. As the allergy season here in the northeast is winding down, I am considering discontinuing Advair until next season--usually in late summer and fall for me. My MD said any sudden withdrawal can trigger an asthma attack (something I have not had since I was a teenager, many, many eons ago. I will need to exercise caution here. I also take xolair which gives me a sense of security in that it promises to block asthma attacks. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks

Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
(female)

Ali2410 HB User
Exclamation Re: advair and weight gain

I have been taking Advair 100/50 for exactly one month. Two weeks after I started taking this, I had an asthma attack that landed me in the ER. I had not been to the ER for an asthma attack in more than 12 years!!! Then, I gained 12 pounds in ONE month. I am an avid runner and strictly control my diet. I upped my run schedule and decreased my caloric intake and still kept putting it on. This was defninitely not normal. I discontinued the Advair and in TWO days I lost five pounds! Thats shocking to me and definitely beyond anything that is okay and normal.

I was also having headaches and now those are gone too.

I will never go back on Advair...

Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
(female)

acprivra HB User

Many of the posts on this message board are from people who are taking Advair 100/50. I have been told by my doctor that this is for fairly mild or pediatric cases of asthma. I have been taking the 500/50 for the past two years and I wouldn't be breathing right now if it weren't for the Advair. I have gained weight, but I also have transitioned into a very stressful graduate program and was overweight to begin with, so I'm not sure if the weight gain was solely due to asthma. I haven't had trouble losing weight when I increase exercise and cut calories.
I am wondering if people on higher doses are noticing the same thing?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

I have been on advair 500/50 for a little over a year and haven't noticed a significant weight gain. I seem to bounce up and down 5-10 pounds which is insignificant ffor me because I'm naturally a big guy. The asthma was a far greater problem which advair has helped to better control. I am far less sensitive to triggers than I was.
Tom

Closed Thread