It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

plm HB User
Post why take Singulair at night?

I'm just curious. You take Singulair once a day. The prescription says take at night. I found this on a medicine website under directions:

When to take it
Take your SINGULAIR at bedtime each day.

Taking your tablet at bedtime each day will have the best effect. It will also help you remember when to take the tablets.

It does not matter if you take SINGULAIR before or after food.

I'm just curious why it has the "best effect" if you take it at night? Usually when you take a medicine once a day, it doesn't matter when, just as long as it's the same time every day.

Old 06-20-2003, 11:50 PM   #2

rach923 HB User
alot of asthma sufferers have allergy problems that are aggravated when sleeping (i'm not one of them) for them, singulair would work better before going to bed...also, i'm not sure, but common side effects of drugs are inducing drowsiness, but i'm not sure if singulair does that or not...fortunately, i've never had any side effects to speak of with any of the long term drugs i'm on...

just a couple ideas...hope this helps

rach

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
If memory serves, it's because it's easier to remember to take something if it's sitting on your bedside table.

That's why I take my birth control pills before bedtime -- because I don't always remember them in the morning, when I'm rushing to get ready.

Old 06-21-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I've been taking Singulair for over a year now. I take it in the morning along with Zyrtec. My allergist said the two meds combined would help the allergy & asthma problems, so I always assumed to take it same time. I get my prescriptions from the insurance co.'s by mailorder the insert inside says to take Singulair on empty stomach and wait a hour. I'm not sure why they say that. My doctor is very thorough and has never brought that up. So I just take it after breakfast.

Old 06-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

plm HB User
Angela, If you read the information from the manufacturer, it says take Singulair with food or on an empty stomach. It specifically says that. So I dont think it matters. I wonder why your pharmacy printed that thing saying to wait an hour.

I understand about remembering to take something if it is on your bedside table, etc. But I've never seen a manufacturer say to take something at night. They usually say take once a day. And you can decide for yourself when you want to take it. I assume they must have a reason for saying take at night, so I wonder what it is. Even birth control pills say to take once a day. They don't care WHEN, just that you take it once a day at the same time.

Old 06-23-2003, 04:46 AM   #6
Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
that's probly when the developers got the best results when testing the medication on asthmatics..
[url="http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2002/21409lbl.pdf"]http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2002/21409lbl.pdf[/url]

[This message has been edited by ilaugh@myself.why (edited 06-23-2003).]

Old 06-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #7

inChicago HB User
I remember my allergist specifically saying that many people's leukotriene levels are higher at night for some reason, and therefore taking the medication at night has the potential to have the greatest effect. (Singulair works by counteracting leukotrienes.)

Old 06-23-2003, 03:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
I looked in the product monograph and you know what it said?

" There have been no clinical trials evaluating the relative efficacy of morning versus evening dosing."

That means they only say to take it that way because that's what they THINK might be best, and that's how the testing was done. As in, when they tested the drug, they had the patients all take it in the evening.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
My insurance company is lame so that easily explains why the info said to take one hour before eating. As a general rule I don't take any meds on empty stomach with the exception of Armour which I was told to take 30 minutes before eating. Now the only med I have been told to take specifically at a certain time is thyroid replacement hormone which I was told to take first thing in morning or no later than noon or it won't work right. I don't think it matters about Singulair. Any other time specific meds I can think of are all to avoid taking at night like decogestants and disalyside (sp?) which causes nightmares.

Closed Thread