It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 11:06 AM   #1

gad HB User
Question upper back pain and asthma

Can anyone tell me if they tightness or pain in upper back when asthma acting up? I have had asthma for a while but have never had this symptom.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:10 AM   #2

ivymnm HB User
Before I was diagnosed with athsma I had a sore upper back all of the time and I couldn't figure out why. Later, I realized that it was because of my athsma. I still have this problem sometimes before I even realize that I am not breathing effectively. It is a good warning sign for me.

[This message has been edited by ivymnm (edited 07-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2003, 03:34 PM   #3

gad HB User

Yes, it has become warning sign for me as well. But what exactly is causing it? Is it the bronchial airways restricting? It makes me think my asthma may not be under control. Thanks for any input.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
Inactive

luciacappucino HB User
Try this simple breathing exercise when you get the upper back pain and feel an asthma attack coming on.

Take a normal, but as deep as possible, breath in

Exhale as slowly and extensively as you can making a hissing sound as you exhale

Keep blowing air out as LONG as possible

repeat for a couple of minutes. You should begin to feel less constricted.

The reason this helps is ecasue when you have an asthma attack, the reason you can't get enough breath IN, is becasue the airway constriction is inpeding you from properly EXPELLING the spent oxygen. Your lungs are still partly full of spent air...and that doesn't leave as much room for new air.

lc

Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
I was just diagnosed with asthma and I have upper back pain as well. I imagine if the lungs are tight and it is difficult to breathe that would also effect the muscles in that area as well.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
I think perhaps because the tension associated with an exacerbation of asthma symptoms tends to manifest itself in the back and neck -- where the most accessory muscles of breathing are.

These are the muscles you don't usually use for breathing unless you're working very hard.

Old 08-15-2003, 12:39 AM   #7

A.Avak HB User
I had a bad case of bronchitis years ago and was told I have adult asthma. I was on optimum inhalers and nothing changed. I went to another doctor who said I don't have asthma and stopped the inhalers. My back hurts all the time in the rib areas and I am unable to take deep breaths without alot of pain. I have a massive spinal problem and my doctors think it is in my spine, not my lungs. I was told several different times that my lungs are hyperinflated, yet I do not have copd or emphysema. The doctor told me my lungs were too big for my chest cavity and that they are going to crush my heart. I've been freaking out since. I cannot seem to find any literature on people with hyper inflated lungs who do not have the copd, emphysema, asthma or any other problem. Does anybody know why lungs would be hyperinflated and do you think that is the reason my back hurts so bad?

I am new to this forum and appreciate anyone who can help me. Thanks

------------------
Adrienne

Old 08-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
I hope you can try and figure out WHY your lungs are hyperinflated, because that's the first step towards trying to stop it.

With chronic bronchitis, the airways get so plugged that air gets trapped, and the lungs are hyperinflated (though not so much as emphysema,) with emphysema the airways become floppy and collapse and trap air, which then makes them hyperinflated, and with asthma, it's a combination of the two, but marked hyperinflation really is only seen with somebody having an acute attack.

Have you ever been taught pursed-lip breathing? Does it help?

Closed Thread