It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 07:03 AM   #1

sheree23 HB User
Post i have recurrent asthma bronchitis? what do i do?

Hello, if anyone has any suggestions for me. About 3 years ago, i suffer from a mild bout of Pnemonia. Since then every 2-3 months i keep getting bronchitis. I am out of action for like 3 weeks and the cycle continues till the next 2 - 3 months. What i used to take was antibiotics called Rulide and that would clear it up. My asthma puffers were 2 puffs of Flixotide morning and night and Oxis 2 in morning and 2 in evening. When i was first on this i was fine for about a year, now the asthma bronchitis keeps coming back. I get a runny nose and i get some weird condition where my windpipe inflames and i get a hoarse voice, i get a tight feeling in my chest. Then i can't breath. I have to go on the nebuliser with ventolin and atravent to loosen up my phlemgm because apparently it gets very very compacted. Along this i have to take a course of prednisone. 2 in the morning for 3 days then reducing the amounts after that. I have visited my chest doctor in June and he changed my medication to Seretide puffer, 2 in morning and 2 in evening. It is now the end of sept and i am sick again. The last time i had this was the end of May. I don't know what to do anymore, my house is free from dustmites, i have a dustmite protector plastic thing on my matress and pillow, i am a clean freak. I did have a test which showed that my immune system was slightly down, does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do or what medication i should enquire about. If you can imagine having this bronchitis nearly 4 - 5 times a year it is very annoying. I am now taking Augmentin forteantibiotic.Pleasehelp
I have had cultures taken of my phelgm and they come out normal. The doctor said that i have a build up of phlegm that builds up and compact over three months and then i have an attack. The phelgm that comes up is a thickish yellow. Has anyone had this situation and if so how did u alleviate it cos this is driving me crazy!!! Thanking you in advance for your reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
If your cultures come out normal, chances are good that you being on antibiotics isn't doing you any good.

I mean, think about it. If there's no bug, why are you taking a drug that is known to have harmful effects on your body to kill it?

Are you on anything to control allergies?

Is Augmentin the same antibiotic they gave you to treat your bacterial pneumonia?

Old 09-30-2003, 04:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
Sheree, I used to suffer like you. The last time I had a really bad time, it started in September, sinus infection - took anti-biotics. By October I had bronchitis, more anti-biotics, it seemed to get better. December, more anti-biotics, January another bout of sinus infection and bronchitis, didn't seem to get any better. One morning I woke up with a lot of chest pain - it kept getting worse. I called my husband at work and told him I thought I was having a heart attack, he had to come home and take me to the hospital.

At this time I had been on augmentin for 7 days, he took me to the hospital and I was diagnosed with pneumonia and pleursy. I thought pleursey was an old sickeness, never heard of anyone having it in this day and age. If is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs for lack of a better description and each breath feels like a knife. You can look it up, I can't remember exactly what pluresy is - it just hurts a lot!

The doctor gave me some stronger anti-biotics, a anti-inflammatory, some pain medication and told me to come back when for a two week check-up. That was in 2001, that spring he put me on Advair and it helped some, then in April he put me on a combination of Advair and Singulair. Since then I have had no episodes of any kind, not even my seasonal illness that I got every spring and fall - they seemed to last from Sept. through Jan. - then April through June, with coughing that lasted from one episode to the next.

Look up Singulair and Advair and ask your doctor about them. It has been the miracle cure for me. Some people have said they have had some bad side effects but if I had any they didn't bother me. It is just so great not to always be sick.

Closed Thread