It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #1

RAS 230 HB User
Question weather and asthma

I always have trouble breathing before it rains or when there is drastic change in weather.
do others get anything like that?
any idea *why* something like that would happen?
it doesn't make sence to me but it's been true for years and years and years

------------------
C:\RAS 230>

Old 10-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Same here, especially before a good rain, this summer was hot and humid for this area and I couldn't breath most of the time, didn't use inhaler but you know that stuffy feeling. Once we had a good rain the next day it was fine but if it gets dry for awhile it starts again and so on. I hate it cuz it doesn't always follow the same pattern.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 12:25 AM   #3
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User
I have a problem because the air is SO MUCH more humid and I feel like I'm breathing through a wet sponge, not to mention that before it rains allergens are flying EVERYWHERE...

Old 11-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
I have the same problem. Any appreciable humidity makes me very stuffy. But I have never been diagnosed with Asthma, so I'm not sure if it's from that, or something else.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
My allergists explanation simplified: When the air is humid, it is heavier, more dust and particles are in every breath you take. Whatever you are allergic to, or sensitive to, you breathe in more with each breath. I never could go in sauna's, just couldn't get my breath, hot, humid air is really bad for me.
But cold air makes me cough a lot too!!

Monday

Old 11-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #6
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User
Responding to a weather change is also characteristic of asthma, but responding to cold air, well that's showing that your airways are more twitchy than normal. I hope we all make it through winter...'tis the season....

Old 11-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
I've always been of the belief that storms can blow in pollens and pollutants that would not otherwise touch your body, or be inhaled. Depending upon the level of someone's sensitivities, it may only take contact with tiny amounts of the pollens or pollution, to bring on wheezing, sinusitis or palpitations.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Monday,

I can relate to you all the way! No Fun!!!!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:47 AM   #9
(female)

valjo HB User
Re: weather and asthma

Weather changes bother me too at times, temps & seasonal winds...but I also have one of those old type barometer liquid/glass instruments where you can actually see if the barometer pressure is steady or fluctuating, and it's amazing! At steady low pressure I am fine. At steady high pressure I am fine, but during any time it is fluctuating and for about 10-15 minutes after it steadies I can not breath well. I had no idea pressure changes could do it until last year when I got this old fashioned liquid/glass barometer. Now my and my husband rely on it and it hasn't been wrong yet.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Veteran

reader1 HB User

A study came out last year that indicated that mold spores increase just prior to the onset of a thunderstorm. Also, changes in barometric pressure can give people trouble as well, although I don't know why. Certainly any of us with mold allergies are going to have trouble before (and obviously after) thunderstorms. In our area, any time there is a hurricane, I get terrible pressure in my head and lungs until the eye comes over. Afterwards, all the allergists and pulmos are overrun by folks having trouble with all the extra mold and other inhalent debris.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Yep it happens to me and it has for years. It stinks living in a state that has such inconsistent weather!

Old 03-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Hey all...I'm having a rough day today with the weather. Last year I was diagnosed with various allergies and asthma, including 4 out of 5 mold allergies. Also I have acid reflux, which they think contributes to the asthma. So I've been on a whirlwind of trying to figure out what triggers what, and what helps what.

Anyway, I've been pretty fine for a while, taking my meds most days (Not all, I know tha'ts bad). So yesterday was Easter, I ate some stuff that I suspect affects my mold allergies (dried cheeses and dried salami). I figured it would be a good test to see if it did affect me. However, it didn't dawn on me that the weather today would be so crappy. It's pouring out and the humidity is 94%, and stupidly I've had my window open a lot of the day.

So now this all comes down to slowly, starting last night, I began feeling the chest tightness. I thought it was due to some personal drama and anxiety I was dealing with all day yesterday, so I ignored it, went to bed. I felt OK this morning, but was talking about the drama again with the friend...the feeling slowly started to creep back. Still, I ignored, went about my day. I did some exercise cuz I've been trying to do that too (well yesterday and today), but didn't do too much. Right before I went in the shower, my chest was still tight so I decided to take some albuterol. But as often is the case, my chest seems to get WORSE when I do that, then I get the shakes for a bit. I had to run out to the store and at this point, it was like a full on asthma attack, OR just the anxiety of one. I couldn't get back in my house fast enough. Now my friend is telling me to make some coffee cuz that will help too.

But I dunno, what else can I do to feel better? And what can I do to prevent this type of thing? I can't control the weather.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Yes, I have that problem too. I was told that 99% of the time, breathing problems stem from a form of allergies and if I treat the allergies, my breathing will be better. I found this to be true. All those years, I was treating just the asthma and no wonder I had problems all the time. Treating the asthma was not the correct thing to do. My problem is, I don't like to take meds so as soon as I start to feel okay, I stop the meds until I start to have a problem again!

Closed Thread