It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #1

Cloie HB User
Prednisone withdrawal

I have a question for anyone out there who's experienced prednisone withdrawal. I've taken prednisone in past with no problems. However this time, I experienced very severe withdrawal symptoms. I was on 70 mg. prednisone, titrating down by 10 mg. every two to three days. When I got down to 20 mg., I started to have severe symptoms: anxiety, tremors, dizzy, shaking, weak, sweating, vibrating sensations, nausea. Doc agreed I may have withdrawn too quickly. Is prednisone withdrawal same thing as prednisone-induced adrenal insufficiency or two different problems? I thought you had to be on prednisone much longer to experience that...I was only on it 23 days. Now doc put me on .5 ativan to calm withdrawal symptoms rather than increase prednisone. He also is slowing down withdrawal schedule. Anyone else have this problem coming off prednisone? I was also wondering if anyone else has had a problem with quinolone antibiotics? Made me very anxious/jittery. thanks, Cloie

Old 03-28-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
Re: Prednisone withdrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloie
I have a question for anyone out there who's experienced prednisone withdrawal. I've taken prednisone in past with no problems. However this time, I experienced very severe withdrawal symptoms. I was on 70 mg. prednisone, titrating down by 10 mg. every two to three days. When I got down to 20 mg., I started to have severe symptoms: anxiety, tremors, dizzy, shaking, weak, sweating, vibrating sensations, nausea. Doc agreed I may have withdrawn too quickly. Is prednisone withdrawal same thing as prednisone-induced adrenal insufficiency or two different problems? I thought you had to be on prednisone much longer to experience that...I was only on it 23 days. Now doc put me on .5 ativan to calm withdrawal symptoms rather than increase prednisone. He also is slowing down withdrawal schedule. Anyone else have this problem coming off prednisone? I was also wondering if anyone else has had a problem with quinolone antibiotics? Made me very anxious/jittery. thanks, Cloie
I'm tiny, and therefore my body is very sensitive to all medications, even inhaled steroids. So the last time I was on pred, I was on 60mg for 5 days, & going off of it was terrible, even if it was just for a day. I was very dizzy, weak, nauseous, sweating & just all over sick! We called the nurse & they said 2 things. One I must be more sensitive to medication than others, prolly cuz I am very skinny & small. Two, because I was on a high dose & I should have been even slightly weaned off. I remember I couldn't get out of bed for that day, if I sat up for 5mins i'd be sick. It's all in the blood sugar imbalances, I would try to have some complex carbs & along with some healthier sugars regularly to keep your blood sugars regulated. Hope this helps..and be positive, remember your getting off of pred..what could be better lol..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Inactive

jp3892 HB User

Cloie: I suppose u could say it is a temporary adrenal insufficiency problem but should not be a permanent thing becasue u were only on it for a short time. Because your cortisol levels are now low (due to the insufficiency) your blood sugar levels are probably very low too. I think it would have been better coming off it at 5mg/day and it would still take the same time to come off !

Blondee: Were u just told to come straight off 70mg??? Some Dr.s do agree with that type of therapy u know! They reason that the pred has been in your body too short to cause a dependency but I think otherwise.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #4

Cloie HB User

Hi,

After reading up more on what prednisone does, I think I might understand this reaction to coming off the stuff. Seems that taking corticosteroids put your adrenal glands to sleep or slow them down. If your body senses it has enough or too much cortisone, no need to produce your own hormones. As I come down off prednisone, and especially when I hit a certain lower level, adrenal glands are waking up again. That could explain surges of adrenalin-symptoms. This would be opposite of adrenal insufficiency, where adrenal glands are not waking up quick enough. This is just my guess as to what is happening. Cloie

Old 03-29-2004, 06:54 AM   #5
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3892
Cloie: I suppose u could say it is a temporary adrenal insufficiency problem but should not be a permanent thing becasue u were only on it for a short time. Because your cortisol levels are now low (due to the insufficiency) your blood sugar levels are probably very low too. I think it would have been better coming off it at 5mg/day and it would still take the same time to come off !

Blondee: Were u just told to come straight off 70mg??? Some Dr.s do agree with that type of therapy u know! They reason that the pred has been in your body too short to cause a dependency but I think otherwise.
Yeah, it's not really a dependency, my inhaled steroids can cause me a drop in blood sugar sometimes if I go 2 long without eating. Prednisone irritates my stomach(acid reflux) & makes me unable to eat much. Therefore the drop in blood sugar for me..but like I said, I'm skinny & small, my body especially sensitive to ANY drug. I do agree with you though~that is way 2 high for anyone to be taken off of straight!

Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
(male)

Flying.Monk HB User

My Neuro Doctor got me to lower my dosage by 5mg every 2 weeks, so I went very slow. I had no withdrawl symptoms to my knowledge. Try that... takes time but its worth it

Old 08-11-2004, 01:28 PM   #7

Sandson HB User

Cloie & Blondie:

I have expereinced the same withdrwal symptoms as both of you. I was glad when my pulmologist took me off of it. However, when I developed RSD, my doctors wanted to put me back on the stuff and I flatly refused to be put back on it because of the awful side effects. I will only take prenisone if it is my last resort.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

see it's not even in my hands, I usually refuse, but for as long as I am under my parent's insurance, whatever my parents says, goes. personally i'd rather do lots of neb treatments & no pred vs. pred & regular neb treatments.

Closed Thread